2015/05/14

20 quick and easy refashions for beginners

Refashioning is a great way to get the most out of your wardrobe. In fact, every season I go through my wardrobe and take out things that I haven't worn and think of ways I could update them to get more wear out of them. Even after just 6 months of moving to Germany with my capsule wardrobe, I'm finding things that aren't working for me.

Maybe they're just a tad shapeless, or I don't feel comfortable because I fear my boobs might fall out (we all know how tricky those strapless dresses can be). Whatever is stopping me from wearing those garments, there's almost always a way to fix it and make it more interesting, comfortable, or wearable. So, I thought it would be fun to round up some quick fixes from the archives to inspire you to spring clean and update your wardrobe.

You really don't have to be DIY queen to do these. Anyone can get into refashioning - you just need to be able to see the potential in every garment.

1. Dye is the quick fix with a lot of impact. Sometimes, all it takes are a few rubber bands an a little dye to turn a boring white tee into a colorful summer staple. Find the tutorial here.
 2. If you're not that into tie dyeing, you should dry dip dyeing for an ombre look. I don't think were quite over the ombre trend yet.
 3. If you're not that into messing with dye, or you have dark items to refashion that won't take in any dye, try bleach for a change. You'll get the same drastic color change, but with less of a mess. I love this shibori-style t-shirt dress I bleached (it was black before).
4. Just throwing something into bleach is really one of the easiest refashioning tricks I know. You never know how exactly it's going to turn out, but that half the excitement anyway. You can read moe about this pullover refashion here.
5. You don't need to dye the whole garment to add some color. Fabric paint is a great way to change up a garment by adding a colorful pattern - like this spotted T-shirt. 
6. You can go a little crazy and try this splatter technique. I love it!
 7. Here's a fun way to add a tribal or geometric pattern to a jacket.
8. Pearls are a super easy way to add some fancy to otherwise simple garments. All you need are some basic hand-sewing skills. Add some pearls and sequins on a shoulder....
9. ...or around a neckline....
10. ...or bedazzle a pair of jeans!
11. Why not use buttons to add some personality to jeans or trouser pockets? I'm definitely a fan of buttons (I have a whole box full of them).
12. If pearls nor buttons rock your boat, what about zippers? This zipper embellished T-shirt is one of my all-time favorites.
13. Or, try adding some zippers to an open-back dress with slippery shoulders.
14. Sometimes it's the fit of a shirt that makes you pass each time you look at it in the morning. Try shirring the waist to add some more definition and shape.
 15. Have a nasty stain on a comfy t-shirt? Maybe putting a lace heart on it will do the trick.
 16. Lace hearts are super cute on the back of a tee as well.
 17. Sometimes, all a blouse needs is a lace collar. You'll be amazed at the difference a little lace can make.
18. Adding lace straps to a strapless dress can turn it from something you fear wearing into something you love. It certainly turned this dress into one of my favorites. 
 19. When in doubt, add fabric flowers. It helps. Every time.
20. Last but not least, you can take something away. Whether it's taking some length off of a skirt, or a the sleeves of a jacket. Snipping off what's not working, can sometimes be the simplest solution of them all.

I hope you're inspired to give your closet a good clean-out and refashion some of those unloved garments to give them another go. Sometimes an easy fix can turn a "meh"-garment into a wardrobe staple.

xo. Hanna



3 comments:

  1. Need pitsist õlapaelad on endiselt ikka väga geniaalne idee. Kui ma vaid poleks kunagi oma mõnda kleiti ära andnud, et seda järele proovida! Aga räägi värvidest, on sul mingid kindlad sordid, mida sa kangaste puhul soovitad kasutada?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olen igasugu värve proovinud. Pean ütlema, et Dyloni värvid on kõige paremini toiminud siiani. Neid saab nt Karnaluksist päris laias valikus.

      Delete
  2. this is exciting and inspiring blog. thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home