2015/05/10

Sewn // Maxi skirt & Pleated blouse

I've talked a lot about the Start Sewing Club on the blog over the past week, but I haven't properly blogged about the garments I made for the club. So, I thought I'd share a few (ahem...) photos of the finished projects that I made as samples for the club.

We did the shoot for the samples in a nearby park, and I love how they turned out. Hence the million photos about to follow. I've said this before, but every time Rein takes photos of me (aka 99% of the photos you see on the blog these days) I'm amazed by how much he's grown as a photographer over the past year. For instance, I didn't crop any of the photos from this shoot. I loved all the angles he shot! I'm seriously considering getting him into a photography course. I know this is totally unrelated to this post, but I'm just so proud of him.

Have you also noticed the improvement in the photography on the blog, or is it just me?
Back to the projects. I'm totally loving the maxi skirt! I'm actually contemplating wearing it to my best friend's wedding, but since I made it to be worn with flats, I'm not really sure.

I used a creamy pink slightly textured fabric I already had in my stash. I'm not sure about the fiber content, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's a cotton-viscose blend. It's a medium-weight and has a great drape. Luckily, I had just enough to make the skirt. I lined this one, since it was a tad too sheer. Adding a lining will be one of the bonus sessions in the course, by the way.
 My aim was to design something that would be very easy to create even for beginners. I know patterns can be a stumbling block for beginners, so I designed both my club projects to be made without a pattern to transfer and trace. This skirt, for example, consists of 2 rectangles, basically.

I know that a circle skirt is often suggested as a great first sewing project, but I actually disagree with that. Drafting a circle skirt is much more difficult than drafting a pleated skirt. Also, it's more difficult to sew, because of the curved hem.

Pleats, on the other hand, are so easy to construct and sew. And, there are have so many variations that once you've masted the basics of pleating and understand how to construct them, you can sew up a whole wardrobe full of different pleated skirt - each different from the rest.

I also wanted to leave out zippers. They can be intimidating for a beginner, and take the fun right out of sewing. And, I wanted to show that there are other ways to construct closures that don't involve the notorious zipper.
I carried the same principled onto the blouse. A very simple self-drafted pattern and no zippers. Also, no darts. A simple silhouette that would suit most body types was what I was after. I've been loving flowing loose-fitted deigns lately, so that's what I went for. You can always belt it is what I say.
To make room for our feminine curves, I added shoulder pleats, which also make pretty design features, I think. The width of the blouse and the fabric band create a faux capped sleeve. (Side note: the design is also very maternity-friendly)

The pattern is again constructed based on a rectangle that is then modified in the course of the sewing process. This is a process I developed to make creating a self-drafted pattern very easy and straight forward. You don't need any knowledge of pattern-drafting - being able to hold a ruler is enough.
The fabric I used for the blouse has a story of its own. I got it from my Grandma a few years back. It's a vintage fabric she had kept in her stash for about 30 years. So, the fabric itself is older than I am. What I love about it is that it has an oddly modern pattern. Which shows how styles always come back in fashion.

I hope you enjoyed the look at my club projects, and the behind the scenes details. What do you like or dislike about the projects I created for the club? Did you get excited to create your own version? Tell me in the comments!

xo. Hanna

P.S! If you got inspired to maybe join the sewing course, you can get all the club details HERE



10 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I think the shirt would be flattering on a lot of body types, and it doesn't look too difficult (thankfully!). The skirt is very pretty. I've never made button holes, but I can't imagine that wouldn't be fixed with a good tutorial somewhere - ha! Can't wait to see what else you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was exactly what I was after! A simple design that would suit a lot of different body types. Also, I used to dread doing buttonholes, but once I mastered the buttonhole foot and the buttonhole function on my machine, it's become so easy. We'll actually go over both machine and handsewing techniques for making buttoholes in the Start Sewing Club ;)

      Delete
  2. Totally going to refashion an oversized top using this pleating method!!! It'll take in the shoulder and lift the sleeve perfectly :) These pieces are both perfection. So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleats are perfect for refashioning - perfect fit in the shoulder + no need for bust darts. I know it's helped me on a number of items. Good luck with the refashion! Been loving what you're up to on the blog! ;)

      Delete
  3. In LOVE with the skirt - very Dior-ish!! Perfect for my 1950's body - ok....without the big bust on top! Accenting my waist is always a good thing though, and those pleats will do just that! I think the top is cute - but it's modern print makes me want to put it with pants, as you did in later pix.....and - uh, any particular reason you mention the "maternity" value of the shape??? Hmmmmm?? Can't wait for sewing club!

    Peace, Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how a vintage fabric can have a too modern print, right? My grandma sure has good taste in fabrics, though.

      As for the maternity clause. Not pregnant! But, a girl in my age has got to think ahead, right? :) Just thought someone might find it useful for their own needs.

      Have you signed up for the club yet, Martha? I haven't seen your name come up on the registration list. If you want to join, you can do so here: www.startsewingclub.com

      Love, Hanna

      Delete
  4. My spouse bought me your classes as a gift so maybe it's under his name? (Jeff Rapp) Although, I got the first email with the shopping list....so he must have used my email address for communique. Please confirm so I know I'm in!! Next Monday is a really busy day for me (back to back stuff) so I hope I can view the "class video" (or whatever you're using) on my own timeline that day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these pieces! The pleated skirt looks great, and could be done in different lengths so easily. And that top is super cute and versatile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They really are the perfect beginner projects!

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home