2013/05/11

Dying your hair naturally with henna

 

Today's topic is a little bit different from our usual posts, but since you've complimented on Elle's and Anneliis' hair, I thought you'd like to know more about the secret to their beautiful hair color. Some of you may be familiar with henna and other natural dyes, but I thought I'd share some resources and one amazing henna transformation.


After seeing Elle's gorgeous hair, and a little push from me, Tamar's sister Marita agreed to give henna a try. She'd been sending me pictures of beautiful redheads and talking about going red, so I thought I'd just give her a little nudge to go through with it. The good thing about henna, besides being all natural and good for you hair, is that unlike chemical dyes, it only covers the surface of the hair, therefor not harming the structure of your hair resulting in a beautiful shine.

In the above picture you can see Marita's hair before dying. At this point, she had three different hair colors: her natural dark blonde out-growth, then a dark blonde dye job (used to be a little more ginger), and then the dark brown chemical dye that she had before. She'd been trying to go lighter, but as we all know, there's no returning from a dark brown chemical dye.


Here's Marita's hair after dying with henna. I think it looks so beautiful! Don't you agree? Although there's still a difference between the upper part and the lower part of her hair, it's so much more subtle. And the color really suits her pale complexion and green eyes.


Here's what Marita had to say about the whole experience:
"Dying my hair with Henna was the first step in my hair makeover process. I've since made even more changes to my hair care routine like changing my hair brush, and using natural hair care products. I also don't blow-dry my hair, but let them air-dry instead. All of this has benefited my hair greatly. It used to be tangled and frizzy, it grew very slowly and I had a lot of hair falling out. After making these changes, my hair has become so much softer, yet stronger, the falling out has decreased, and my hair is growing faster.
Although the dying process is so much longer than with chemical dyes, it's well worth it. Even more, it makes you think more about what you do to your hair with those chemical dyes. I definitely plan on continuing to dye my hair with henna."

If you'd like to know more about henna and other natural dyes, here's a great resource.

As always, we'd love to hear your thoughts! If you have any questions or thoughts on this topic, leave them in the comments below.



8 comments:

  1. I'm dying my hair with henna too and I absolutely love it, but I don't agree that it's not permanent, on me it's very much permanent. For a couple of years now I've only been dying my roots (the out-growth) and the tips of my hair are still nowhere near my natural colour, they're still very orange-red. I've also heard that's it's really hard to get rid of the henna-colour by dying over it with chemical dyes. My sister is growing hers out now. Still I love the natural look of it and the colour and the fact that there's no chemicals involved! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out! I guess it depends on the hair. I dyed my hair with henna years ago and it washed out in a couple of months. My hair was untreated before using henna. Marita also said, that the color has faded within a month and needs an overall re-dye.

      Delete
    2. Hi ladies, i just want to point out that real Henna is permanent. some hennas are not real, they are mixed and are sold in various different colours and shades, this is not real henna- and it might contain harmful metalic salts. Real henna is the tuff they do henna tatoos with- it only comes in variations of orange to red colour - and this henna is the genuine miracle worker, it makes your hair soft, shiney and glorious- real henna makes your hair glimmer and sparkle in the sunlight with pretty tones of red. i love henna :-)

      Delete
    3. You're absolutely right, Cindy! I probably didn't use an acid and that's why my henna do wasn't permanent way back when. I dye my hair also with a mix of henna and indigo, and it's permanent as you said. I need to update the post to avoid confusion, so thanks so much for pointing it out!

      Delete
  2. I was suffering from hair gray problem, so I tried almost everything but these all were worthless for me. Now, I am using JDHarris remedies for grey hair and it is really effective that do not contain any nasty smell like any other remedies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had tried it on my hairs, it is really effective but nowadays there are several better options to dying hair. Before choosing any option we must check label and avoid products that have harmful chemicals as they harm our hairs.

    Reference : http://www.nanogen.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home