2013/05/08

Refashionista: Shibori style jersey dress

Modeled by Marianne
First of all, let me note that time seems to be flying even faster than usual. This spring is turning into a whirlwind on concerts and performances. Elle and I had our first joint concert today and it went very well. All the three sopranos (me, Ann, and Elle's sister Anneliis) were fantastic and so was our fabulous accompanist/pianist Elle! So, don't think I've neglected Pearls & Scissors, we've just been rehearsing and preparing for the concert.


Needless to say, I haven't had much time to sew or craft. But, I thought it would be fun to share this Shibori style dress makeover I did a year ago with you. I don't have the before picture, so you'll have to just trust my word that it was a simple black t-shirt dress.


I use pleaching to change the color of the t-shirt, but you could also use fabric dye with a white t-shirt. It's so much fun to experiment with this technique as the result is always a surprise.


The process is real simple:
1) Take a t-shirt and start tying random spots of fabric with some rubber bands or some ribbon. Make sure you tie real tight, otherwise the dye or bleach will still get into the fabric and the result won't be good. You can see on the last picture that I tied simple circles in different places, and I tied on spot it two different places as well.
2) Prepare your bleach as instructed on the manual. I used powder bleach which needed to be put into hot water. Then put your t-shirt into it and let it sit there until all the visible places have changed color.
3) This is what my first try looked like after bleaching. At this stage rinse the bundle under cold water and then remove all the bands or ribbons.
4) Admire your new t-shirt!

I have to warn you that this techniques is totally addictive. Once you've tried it, you'll probably have the desire to remake all your existing t-shirts and jersey dresses. And why not try other fabrics as well? I'm totally hooked!



8 comments:

  1. What do you do with the spent bleach ? It's not a good idea to empty into your drain onto the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a bleach that can also be added to the washing cycle, and that goes into the drain with the rest of the water, so when I've used it separately, I've just poured the mix down the toilet.

      Delete
  2. What do you do with the spent bleach ? It's not a good idea to empty into your drain onto the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way this turned out! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the hippy style ;-)).. remember myself to the 70th, i was a teenager .... have to go and bye some bleach to try it out !
    And perhaps, you can release with bleach shirt from all the toxical chemicals .. how knows ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I guess Shibori was sort of "IN" back in the seventies. I love the comfy and relaxed hippy style!

      Delete
  5. What kind of bleach did you use? Just today I tried to bleach some of my older blouses, but good old Liilia bleacher did not do the job.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home