2013/08/24

Refashionista: Color cuffed pants


Sometimes an old garment just needs a colorful twist. At least, that's what I thought when I stumbled upon these pair of my Mom's old pants when cleaning my refashion closet at home. They were a funny length and unflatteringly wide at the bottom, but they fit perfectly at the top. So, of course, a remake was in order.



If you ever want to give this refashion a try, here's how:

1. Put the pants on backwards and pin the legs taking them in either from both seams or just the one that hasn't been top stitched.
2. Sew along the pins, cut off the excess fabric and go over the seam either with a serger/overlocker or a zig-zag stitch to prevent fraying.
3. Measure the circumference of the pant leg ends and the length you want to add to the pants. Now cut out two rectangles that are the width of the pant leg circumference + seam allowances, and the length of the added part x2.
4. Fold those rectangles and sew the shorter ends together (shows with white lines on the picture above). Turn them over and press.
5. Pin the cuffs to the pant legs right sides together, making sure that the ends meet and there's no big gap.
6. Sew the cuffs to the pant legs, cover the seam edges with a zig-zag stitch or use a serger. You could also top stitch the cuffs.
7. Give it a good press and steam, and you're all done!


I think the makeover gives these pants an infinitely more modern look. I just love how they turned out! It's funny how some things sit in my refashion closet for years before that little lightbulb goes on in my head. That's why I keep most of the worn clothes my family has. You never know what sparks my creativity next time.


4 comments:

  1. Why, why do I have work to do today? I want to ditch it all and make these pants!! I've linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-cropped-skinnies-with-contrast-cuffs/2013/08/26/
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems we always have work to do when we`re feeling most inspired, doesn´t it? I hope you´ll get round to it though! :) Thanks for the link!

      Delete
  2. The trousers look terrific - swell idea! Thank you for sharing the how-to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate, and you're most welcome! Happy creating!

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home