2013/08/28

Simple summer maxi strap dress


I have a confession to make - I'm a fabric hoarder. I know, I know, you're probably saying that all seamstresses are. And maybe you're right, but sometimes I feel that I just can't let a fabric go. I'll second guess every project I have in mind for that fabric and hesitate whether it's the right one. And so it sits sadly in my fabric pile for years.  This fabric is one of those sad ones. Although it's been sitting on my shelf for only a little over a year, it's really at least 2 decades old, probably 3+. I got it from my Grandma.


There were so many times I wanted to use this fabric. I love the colors and the print, and I always thought it'd make a great dress, but I couldn't decide on the design. Every once in a while I'd take it out and looked at it, and put it back.  I didn't dare make anything from it, because then that would have been it. Sounds ridiculous, right? But, some fabrics simply are more special than others.



I took it out once more about 3 weeks ago and decided that it was time to let go. I knew I wanted to make another maxi dress because I love wearing them during the summer, and I thought this fabric would be perfect for summer, but also great for layering during fall. I didn't even use any pattern, although the Saltspring dress from Sewaholic was a big inspiration. So, if you want to great a similar look, that's a great pattern to use.



I used bias binding to bind the neckline and create the straps. And I used elastic to define the waistline. It was a real quick sew, only took me a few hours to complete, and I've been wearing it a lot these past weeks. I love it so much that I seemed to have forgotten I also own other dresses. But, I guess that's how you know the project is a success.


6 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous fabric. The dress looks stunning, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad I decided to finally use the fabric instead of holding on.

      Delete
  2. You made the right choice - great fabric for a great pattern!! That's one dress to take you in to the early fall, too! Gorgeous rich tones! You're just so clever, Hanna. Lovely photos, as well: "Ms Fotografik!" Thanks 4 sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are just too many compliments in that comment for one shy Estonian to handle, but thanks! :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful fabric, and you were right to keep it! I think all sewers are fabric hoarders, me included ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's true, but sometimes I think I should think more on the lines of "use it or lose it". What's the use of having gorgeous fabrics in my stash if I'm too scared to use them.

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home