2013/10/06

DIY Gold striped mirror


Being a student on budget, and living in a rental apartment, you have to be creative with your interior design projects. After moving from a bedroom with a closet with mirror doors into my sewing room with no mirrors, I was in a dire need of a mirror. A girl cannot exist without a mirror. That's just common sense. Luckily my Grandma had a mirror stashed in her attic that she wasn't using, so she gave it to me. But, looking at that red colored frame I knew I had make it over.


The frame was in good condition - I only had to do minor touch ups here and there. I wanted to keep the color palette neutral since I already have an array of different colored wood furniture in that room. Yet, plain white would have been just too boring, so I went with a little golden accent.


If you'd like to try and make your own gold striped mirror, here's how:
Prep work: Since the frame had already been painted it didn't need sanding, but if your frame has not been previously painted, you need to sand it to prep for paint. The second step is applying painters tape all around the inside of the frame to protect the mirror from paint.
1. Once you're finished with the prep work, it's time to paint the frame. I did 3 coats of paint, giving enough drying time in between layers.
2. Now that your frame has been painted, it's time to prep for the stripes. Use a ruler and a pencil to mark your stripes on the frame, then cover the rest of the frame with newspapers and painters tape, leaving only the stripes open.
3. Start painting the stripes. I used golden spray paint. It's so easy to use and quick to dry. I did 2 coats of paint on the stripes.
4. Once all the stripes are done, leave tit to dry for 24h, then remove all the painters tape and covers. It's like opening up a present on Christmas day :).


Have fun painting!


4 comments:

  1. gorgeous! cant wait to try this (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope your makeover turns out the way you like it!

      Delete
  2. It's great, hope I can DIY the mirror as good as you!
    http://en.ofweek.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home