2013/11/23

Refashionista: Granny blouse into dressing gown (tutorial)


I've been wanting a cute dressing gown for ages. Sometimes a long warm bathrobe is just too much and you need something lighter.  Like when you're running around the house trying to get ready for a concert or a night out. Or on a lazy summer morning when you just don't feel like getting dressed.

That's exactly the kind of dressing gown I wanted. Enter this granny style button-down. It was just big enough for me to act as a dressing gown when the front panels were laid on top of each other. And I loved the feel of the fabric, and the fun floral print.




This refashion was really easy and quick, and took me just a couple of hours to finish. If you'd like to make your own a refashioned dressing gown, here how:

You'll need:

  • Button-down blouse in at least 3 sizes too big
  • Scissors, pins, ruler, tailor's chalk, sewing machine
  • Lace
  • Ribbon


The whole refashion is done in 4 easy steps:
1) Cut the collar. Measure where you want your belt to be, and draw a line from the shoulder seam to that point from both sides of the neckline creating a deep V-neck. Also, remove buttons.
2) Zig-zag/serge raw edges.
3) Hem the neckline with lace. Just place the lace on the right side of the fabric covering the zig-zag edge by about 0.5 cm and sew into place.


4) Attach two long strips of ribbon to one side of the blouse in the front and sew into place.


I'm very happy with my new dressing robe!  It's one of those refashions where the material I started with was absolutely perfect for the end result. It's been getting a lot of use since I made it, too. All in all, a very successful refashion.

I hope you're enjoying your weekend. Don't forget to squeeze in a little creative fun as well!





Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. This was a brilliant idea! I love the pattern on the new dressing gown :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arielle! Once in a while I get struck by really good idea from the refashion God :D

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home