2014/04/09

Pattern Hacker: Working with leftover fabric


Today I'm starting a new series on the blog called "Pattern hacker". I've been sewing more from scratch lately which I haven't done much of in the last couple of years. I've noticed that I almost never use patterns as they come. I make a lot of modifications along the way - from slight changes in fit to changing the whole look of the pattern, to combining different patterns into one. Seeing the full potential of a pattern is such a valuable skill, and I'd love to inspire you to see your pattern stash in a new light. So, this new series will give you ideas, inspiration and tips to make the most of every pattern.


Now, onto today's hack. The project, like most of my sewing, is fully inspired by the fabric. I got this coral pink lace from a local shop that sells industrial selvedge fabric and sample garments. The lace came in different sized rectangles, which were smaller that 50cmx50cm. Needless to say, I had to get creative in order to make a garment from these fabric pieces. But, I loved the texture and pattern of the lace, and, oh, the color! (Sadly, the worst color to photograph.) I just new I needed to have it. Also, it came with a very good price tag. So, I bought 2 bundles for 2€ each.


Finally, I found a suitable pattern from my stash of Burda magazines. It's model 112 from Burda 04/2009. The pattern had a 2-piece raglan sleeve which fit perfectly with one of the lace pieces. To make things easier, and more wearable, I decided to make the back and line the front with a solid coral jersey I had in my fabric stash. (You might recognize the fabric from my summer maxi. I have a lot of yardage still left over.)

Now, the only problem I still had was the front pattern piece. The only way to use the lace was to cut the front into multiple separate pattern pieces. You can see my alterations on the picture below:


First, I measured the center of the pattern piece, and then drew lines from the outer corners to the center creating 3 pattern pieces. I cut the lowest triangle (nr 1) on fold. The sewing order for these pieces would be:
1) attach 3a to 2a
2) next, attach 3b to 3a
3) then, attach 1 to 2b
4) finally, sew the diagonal seam (only one possible seam left).

Other alterations I made: raised the front neckline by 4cm, and used fabric bands to finish the hem, neckline and sleeves.


I'm so happy with the end result. It's super comfortable, the fit is just what I hoped for, and I'm still very much in love with the color and fabric. I've been wearing it constantly over the past 2 weeks, and that in itself is an indicator of project success. Hooray!


I'd love to hear you feedback on the new series, so leave your thoughts in the comments!



Follow on Bloglovin

10 comments:

  1. Great top! Thanks for sharing your adaptation process, it's really interesting to see garment construction behind the scenes. I've only recently begin to hack patterns and am really interested in your new series - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I just took a look at your blog. Your creations look great, so I'm sure you'll make a great pattern hacker as well :). I hope this series will be helpful or at least inspiring to you!

      Delete
  2. Great top!
    This idea will be useful for using fabirc leftovers from bigger projects and I see a potential for colourblocking as well. I'm gonna try it sooner or later, I'm sure. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Color blocking is a great idea, thanks for pointing it out!

      Delete
  3. Tere, Hanna :)

    Olen sinu blogi ja tegemisi juba pikka aega jälginud ja mulle meeldivad su väikesed ja suured projektid väga. Miks ma aga kirjutan on järgmine. Ma õpin nimelt hetkel rätsepaks ja kuna me teeme kõik oma lõiked nullist ise, juhatas õppejõud meid lisamaterjaliks ühe e-raamatuni. See on täiesti tasuta ja kättesaadav ja leitav kõigile. Mõtlesin, et annan sulle lingi, kuna tundub, et sulle meeldib väga lõigetega katsetada : http://www.ekk.edu.ee/vvfiles/0/opime_ratsepaks.pdf Kuigi osad asjad on kindlasti keerulisemad, siis tegelikult on päris ise lõigete tegemine lihtne ja annab uskumatult vabad käed. Antud raamatus on teooriat ja punkt-punktilt õpetusi, kuidas konstrueerida naiste pluuse, jakke ja kleite, meeste särke ja isegi laste riideid. Ma loodan, et sa leiad sealt nii mõnegi nipi, soovituse või know-how, mida enda tegemistes kasutada.

    Head uurimist ja katsetamist! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tere, Liisa! Suured tänud soovituse eest! Hakkan kohe oma nina sinna raamatusse puurima. Ma olen tegelikult juba pikka aega mõelnud, et tahaks lõigete konstrueerimist katsetada, aga kuna see tundub nii hirmuäratav ja aeganõudev, siis lükkan selle plaani ikka kuhugi määramata tulevikku. Aga sa andsid mulle jälle väikese tõuke selles suunas, nii et loodetavasti seekord tuhin nii kiiresti ei rauge.

      Loomingulist kevadet!

      Delete
  4. This is fantastic! Some of my favorite items of clothing have come from having too little fabric, also. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To parafrase an old saying - necessity is the mother of creativity. I think it's so true!

      Delete
  5. Wow, that really looks great! And I love your hair in the pictures, too. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been wearing my hair up a lot lately. It's getting pretty long.

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home