2014/02/28

DIY: Patterned fabric with fabric paint


I've had the idea of trying to paint a pattern on fabric with textile paint for the longest time, but until now I never really got around to it. But then, on a trip to one of my favorite local crafting supply stores, I noticed this shelf of fabric paints. And among them, a gorgeous golden paint. How could a girl resist? The next thing I knew, the paint was already in my hand at the register. Funny how that happens sometimes, right?

Anyway, I couldn't wait to try it out! I chose to go with a simple background and a simple print. Here's the printing process:


For the fabric I chose a black vintage corduroy from my stash. I loved the idea of having a textured fabric as the background for the print. That way I would end up with two different textures, and that's all the more interesting, I think.


The supplies needed for this project are minimal:

  • a pair of scissors 
  • a dishwashing sponge  
  • a small plastic container 

1. Start by cutting out a circle from the sponge. I used a glass bottom to guide my hand when tracing the circle onto the sponge. Then, use scissors to cut out the circle.

2. Now that you're ready to start printing, pour a little bit of fabric paint into the container. Take your circle sponge, press it into the paint and then onto the fabric. As you can see, not all my circles came out perfectly evenly covered. I noticed that the sponge started to soak in the fabric in some places more than others.
I used a pretty neat layout for my print, but you could use a more random approach, or use different size sponge circles. I can only imagine the cool prints you could make!

3. Once you're done printing, let the fabric dry completely and then iron it through paper (or as instructed on the label of the fabric paint).


That's how my printed fabric turned out. I love it! Seriously, it's a very rewarding process. It's fast and the end result is so cool.


I used my newly printed fabric to make myself this fold-over clutch. I've been dying to sew myself one, but, once again haven't gotten around to it. So, this project was really two long-time crafting ideas in one. I added a small leather loop on both sides of the clutch so I could attach a removable chain strap as well. I've found that as cute and fashionable as clutches are, they can also be a little un-practical at times. So, a removable strap is a must on all my clutches to give them as much use as possible.


I really wanted to do a tutorial on the fold-over clutch as well, but then I did all the sewing steps in the wrong order and I really wouldn't want to teach you how to sew a simple clutch in the most complicated way possible. Luckily, there are others who have done it right, so if you'd like to learn, here's a great tutorial.

Have you tried fabric paints for printing?



Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Nice try..;-))....i have done an experiment with "normal" acryl art colours look here - still works for things how will not end in the washing mashine ;-)) acryl clolours on fabric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tired Acryclic paint, but I guess it could work. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime.

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home