2014/03/31

DIY Rhinestone Ear Cuff (from an old necklace)




I've been wanting an ear cuff from the moment I saw them popping up on Pinterest. I couldn't find anything I liked that was affordable, so I set out to make my own. So, this project has been on my to-do list for ages. It took me a while to figure out how to make it. Then, I had one of those lightbulb moments when going through a box of miscellaneous items. I found this vintage rhinestone necklace I got from my Grandma. There were some rhinestones missing, so it had become unwearable. I love that I could give it a new life. Every time I wear it, it reminds me of my Grams. I love things that have a story to tell! And the end result looks simply stunning, non?


Here's what you'll need to make your own:
♥ Old rhinestone necklace or separate rhinestones
♥ Wire cutters (if using an old necklace)
♥ Earring studs and backs
♥ Strong gel adhesive (like E6000 or similar)
♥ A simple nose ring


A little tip for glueing the rhinestones together. After adding the adhesive, I'd recommend placing the earrings on plastic to dry. There's going to be some glue residue on the back and the earring will stick to  whatever you place it on. Plastic is more inconspicuous and easier to remove once the adhesive has dried.
After you're done with the above steps, glue the earring studs to the back of the earrings and let dry. Finally, glue the nose ring to the back top part of the ear cuff. It should be positioned so that you can attach the nose ring to your ear. This makes the ear cuff stay in place. Without the ring it'll just fall down because of it's weight.

I hope this tutorial helps anyone wanting to tackle an ear cuff DIY.


Follow on Bloglovin

21 comments:

  1. Now this is an ear cuff I would wear. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arielle! I smiled pretty hard after I finished this project :)

      Delete
  2. I love this! Such a clever way of giving the necklace new life and the set is gorgeous...I want to make a 'matching' cuff and earring set now!!! Beautiful pics as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Andrea, thank you for all the compliments! I have my flatmate to thank for the photographs.

      I hope you'll get around to making your own set soon.

      Delete
  3. You should send this to : http://www.weupcycle.com/
    Great !!! Looks fantastic ...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into it.

      Delete
  4. They look so elegant! I especially love the leaf shape cuff, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It took me some experimenting to get the cuff to look exactly like I wanted, but I couldn't be happier with end result.

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful work and lovely pictures! So well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have give credit to my flatmate Mari Krõõt for the pictures. We make a pretty good team :) Aitäh, Laura!

      Delete
  6. I don't understand how the nose ring came in. Is it a hoop ring, or the twist style? How do you hook it in your ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant the fake hoop kind of nose ring, or you could use a simple wire hoop with a diameter of about 0.5cm and widen the opening a little to be able to attach it. You attach the hoop to the upper/tip portion of the cuff. Mine is attached to the back of the 3rd rhinestone from the tip. Then you can attach it to the upper edge of your ear. I hope this was helpful!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I guess I'll have to find the easiest place on my ear to hook for attachment, and thanks for the idea for my collection of Grandmother's jewelry!

      Delete
    3. It takes a little bit of trial and error to get it right, and everyones ears are a little different, but I'm confident you'll find the right fit for you. Good luck and have fun designing!

      Delete
  7. Being a wedding officiant, i'm all over this for brides. For the edgy classic bride, or bridal party, this would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you've got style, Marylin! :) I think this would look stunning on a bride! I might even consider wearing it for my own special day.

      Delete
  8. uhmm...this is sheer genius! i want my little blog to grow up to be like yours!! i am obssesed with this. i am going to be making one of these!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's so sweet of you to say. I'm sure yours will grow up to be a wonderful and inspiring blog. All it takes is work and patience.

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home