2014/03/25

Why do I blog?


It seems that Elsie's post about blogging sparked a discussion in the blogosphere. For me, it couldn't have come at a better time. I've been asking myself some hard questions lately, one of them being "Why do I blog?". Not an easy question to answer as it turns out. Elsie and Melissa both wrote about some interesting points that made me dig deeper into the question of why. So, to organize my thoughts, and maybe spark yours, I thought I'd write about my own blogging journey and the reasons behind it.

the design of my first blog is still a little embarrassing

I started my very first blog back in February 2008. I shared my craft projects on a very popular Estonian crafting site that brought together a community of like-minded people, and I really wanted to be a part of it. I remember the anxiety and excitement before hitting the publish button for the very first time. Will people like what I do? Will anybody comment? Will I be accepted into the community? I couldn't check my comment form often enough to see whether someone had noticed me.

Fast forward to 2009. I got some attention, but I wasn't really happy with my blog. It just wasn't inspiring me anymore. I craved change, a wider audience, and a fresh start. So, I created my second blog Hapa's Eco Renewals (not the best name, unfortunately) and started blogging in English instead of my native Estonian. That's when I really dove into the blogging world. I started following other creative bloggers and blogging more and more. A year into my second blog I first started to think about maybe someday turning my blog into some sort of business venture. At that time I wasn't really sure about my university studies and I couldn't seem to find my true passion. I loved making things, so why not make that my career?


Then, in 2011 I decided to go for my childhood dream of becoming a singer. From the first lessons I was hooked and I felt I'd found my true passion. That feeling has not changed. All the while I kept blogging and even with my passion for singing, my multi-passionate mind couldn't let go of the idea of creating a successful blog. So, in 2012 I created Pearls & Scissors.

Finally, after all these years of trial and error I created something I was proud of. I worked very hard on this blog, at the same time getting my Master's degree in psychology, and studying singing full-time. It was a crazy year, but I managed to juggle it all. Then life happened and I had to put the blog on the back-burner. Now, I finally feel settled again and I find myself at the cross-roads, again - do I continue blogging as just a hobby, or do I turn it into a side business?


I still haven't made up my mind. There are pros and cons to both ways of blogging. But, no matter what road I (or you) take, the most important thing is to remember why I started in the first place, and why I keep on blogging. Here's my top 3 reasons:

1. It's fun! For me, this has always been the point that brings me back to blogging, even if I've lost the drive for awhile. I think it should always be fun. Even if you're monetizing your blog, blogging should still bring you joy. Without the fun factor, it can feel like just a lot of hard work (which it is). That's also the biggest concern for me when it comes to monetizing my blog. I wonder if I'm still going to feel the excitement when I know I have to create posts to keep my promise to my sponsors? Will I have enough creative energy to keep this blog thriving? And, above all else, do I really have the time to give it my best? I wouldn't want to compromise my dream of becoming an operatic singer, because that is my ultimate goal. But, that is a longer discussion for another post.

2. I love to share and interact! Connection is the second key concept in blogging for me. I wouldn't be blogging if I just wanted to document my creative endeavors. I wouldn't be creating tutorials, if I didn't want to share my knowledge. I wouldn't be commenting if I didn't want to connect. Without you to share my thoughts, inspiration, ideas, and projects with, this blog would be worthless to me. So, thank you for sticking with me for a shorter or longer period! I value every single comment and e-mail you've sent. And I'd love to connect even more in the future.

3. I want to inspire! Seeing that somebody is inspired by my tutorial or has used it to make something for themselves is like a high for me. I love helping people, so it's such a thrill to see that my knowledge and ideas have helped someone bring more creativity into their lives. Because, creativity is the best therapy, right? I truly believe in that, and I hope I can keep on inspiring.

Now, I'd love to hear from you - Why do you blog? 

Thank you for reading!



Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Although I don't personally have a blog, I feel like there is a lot of truth in what you shared in this post. Blogging takes quite a lot of time I guess, which means that any blogger needs to feel really passionate about it to continue writing and sharing. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts, Ola! Yes, blogging does take a lot of time, so your quite right. You can't do it without passion.

      Delete
  2. Hi Hanna, my daughter's name is Hannah and she is in her 1st year of college and wants to be a psychiatrist. She is also a singer. I just thought it was funny how many things you have in common. Pat S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, she sounds like my long lost twin or something (lol), although she's a little younger :). It's odd how these things match sometimes, right?

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home