2014/03/18

Refashionista: Choker/halter neckline makeover


This blouse sat sadly in my to-refashion pile for quite some time. I loved the beaded neckline, but not the fact that it was a choker and a halter, which made it a bit uncomfortable for me. Not to mention the neckband was attached in a way I just couldn't figure out how to wear. It just didn't look right. However, I really wanted to make it work because the color is this lovely burgundy, and the beading on the neckline is simply to die for. And, I got it from a friend, so I couldn't let it just sit in a pile unused. I finally figured out a simple modification that would change the whole game.


The first modification I did was to take the blouse in from the back seam. It was a couple of sizes too big. After that I moved on to the neckline alterations.

As you can see from the picture above, I removed the neckband, and then cut open the top of the blouse. That seam was totally baffling to me, so I solved the mystery by simply cutting it open. Now the neckline made much more sense to me. I decided I didn't want the neckband to tie in the back. So, after re-attaching the neckband in the front, I tried on the blouse, and pinned the ribbon to the sides on the back, creating an open back look. Finally, I cut off the leftover ribbon and attached the straps in the back. The sewing on this one was all done by hand.




I'm totally in love with the new look of the blouse! It's more functional and sophisticated. Not that the original neckline was that bad, but this is just more me, I guess. This project is the perfect addition to my performance wear. Since one of my sewing goals for this year was to create more performance attire, I'm especially pleased with this one. And, I already have the perfect skirt to pair it with.


I think I need to make a beaded belt to tie together the blouse and the skirt. Another project to add to my list. You finish one and another steps in its place. That's how the crafty mind works, my friends!

(Thanks to Mari Krõõt for the photography)


Follow on Bloglovin

9 comments:

  1. Like so much of your work, this is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly, for the lovely compliment!

      Delete
  2. Kuule, sul on tissipildid siin ju.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D :D hmmm...päris täpselt ei saa aru...Olid öösel tööl jälle jah? segane tüdruk!

      Delete
  3. what a unique shape! I never would have thought of that. Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! Sometimes altering a garment is more like solving a puzzle. You just have to find what works for that piece.

      Delete
  4. Wow, this is so pretty! You are talented! I am just learning to sew, and this type of re-style project is a great goal for me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you're learning to sew. I'm totally cheering you on! And this type of a project is good for beginners because it's mostly hand sewing and really easy to make. But, the outcome is fabulous. Keep on making!

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home