2014/03/06

Guest Post: Spring cleaning tips from Morgan


Hi, friends! Today I have a special treat for you. The days are getting warmer, sunnier and longer, and I'm certainly feeling the urge to hit the refresh button on everything these days. Especially my wardrobe. So, I'd like to welcome Morgan from Gray & Gabbana on P & S today to share her tips and tricks for spring cleaning your closet.

All right fashionistas, it’s my favorite time of year: spring cleaning! Now, cleaning might not exactly get you giddy with excitement, but remember: the more space you create, the more room you have for new clothes. Like those lilac pants I’ve been eyeing....or a new jean jacket...or other goodies for warm weather!

So, where do we start? Well, I actually was really inspired this year by this fun infographic from RedEnvelope, and using that and my own experience, here are my top tips for cleaning out your closet and refreshing your wardrobe for spring:

1.   The first step you should do is figure out your time. If you have it, you can attack your closet in an all day process. If you’re squeezing it in, do it section by section, starting with the highest point (top shelves) and working your way down (shoes). This way you can clean the areas as you go. So put in new contact paper and vacuum that carpet!

2.   Make room for spring! While there are certainly transitional pieces that work from winter to spring or for any season, why not store some (clearly) winter items. We’re talking the fleece lined snow boots or your down hooded, insulated jacket. Both staples for snow and ice, but not so much for the mid 60s and sun. There’s a lot of wonderful room under your bed, as long as you neatly pack the clothes into flat boxes and store them properly.

3.   Donate the goods you’re getting rid of. Just because your favorite jeans are (sadly) too big on you or the arms shrunk in your favorite sweater doesn’t mean that someone else can’t enjoy it. And if you and your friends are similar sizes, have a fun clothing swap!

photo via
4.   When it comes time for shopping, keep a list going of what you need/want and what you clearly have too much of. This way when you buy new clothes you’ll actually get some use out of them!

5.   It’s time to get away from those wire hangers! You know what I mean - the ones you have thousands of because the dry cleaners gave them to you for free. Those are only supposed to be temporary! We take so many other precautions to take care of our clothes: dry cleaning, delicate cycles, hand washing, weather and waterproofing, etc. So get a real hanger! Plus, if you find a slim crystal hanger or hugable hanger it can save you room.

photo via
6.   I always always always put my clothes in color order. I know it sounds crazy, but first I put all of the shirts, then pants, then dresses, then coats together, and then they get put in a wonderful rainbow. Not only does it make my closet more neat and organized, it also helps streamline my morning as well as show me what colors I’m lacking in my wardrobe (or where I have too much).

7.   And my favorite thing to do? After I have my closet neat and ready for the spring and summer months, I put all the hangers in backwards on the rod. Then, after I wear something, I hang it back up normally. This way, when fall comes around and I’m transitioning my clothes again, I can easily see what I haven’t worn since March. If the hanger hasn’t been turned it gets donated. Some of my friends put post its on their tags, but I find that mine always fall off.


Hopefully that helped give you some ideas! Enjoy the warm weather and your favorite pair of strappy sandals. And remember, if you have something really cute that doesn’t fit you, you can always send it to me!

Thanks, Morgan, for all the useful tips and tricks! I have a feeling I'm going to be cleaning out my closet this weekend.

Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Great advice! I'm starting tomorrow :) Although, being pregnant and having many different weights, makes this a lot more difficult ;) BTW - I love your writing style!

    Mica
    Best Reviews for Ipe Decking for sale

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home