2014/12/05

5 Thoughtful Gift Ideas

Giving meaningful gifts is not always easy, and the stress of finding just the right one for your loved one can sometimes bring down your holiday spirit. But, what we forget sometimes, is that giving is more about the emotion than about the monetary value of the gift itself. The thought you put into the gift is what really matters. So, here are 10 ideas for a meaningful, thought-filled gift.

1. Make something. That's obvious, right. I mean, Pearls & Scissors is a craft blog, so of course my first suggestion is to make a handmade gift. And, it doesn't have to be something big that takes you hours and hours to make. Who has time for that, right? Nevertheless, you could still create something unique and personal with only a couple of hours. I'll post loads of ideas tomorrow, so stay tuned.
2. Give something you already have. I remember when one of my friends got a used book for Christmas one year. The book was given to her by a friend who had already read that book. So, he gave away the very book that he enjoyed reading, and thought she would enjoy, too. I know we are taught that you shouldn't give someone your old stuff as a gift, but I say that's just stupid. If it's something I'm not using, and I know it would be something they would love, why not give it to them as a gift. Also, do we really need to generate more stuff into this world? This way the gift is both meaningful and sustainable. Plus, Christmas can be financially draining, and that's more stress we don't need, especially during the holidays. So, it's a win-win-win.
You could give away a CD you enjoyed listening to, a book you read that you'd love to share, or that set of coffee mugs that's been sitting unused (to a college graduate with a new apartment). You could even personalize the mugs and combine #1 with #2.
3. Give your time. Ah, time is the real gold these days, isn't it? It feels that we have less and less of it, so it's become one of our most valued possessions. I think we don't spend enough time with our loved ones, so why not give them tickets to a concert you could see together, a date-package full of dates to go on together over the course of the year, or your expertise (for example, I could give crafting time, or blog design time). Or, when you live far away, a ticket to see you could be the perfect gift.

4. Donate on their behalf. Some people are especially hard to give presents to. They seem to have everything already. Why not donate to charity on their behalf, or go and plant some trees in their name. That's the real holiday spirit, now isn't it?
5. Give knowledge and experiences. I don't know about you, but I'm a total nerd when it comes to learning. I love to learn new stuff, and experience something I haven't before. Knowledge is so much more valuable than having a lot of stuff. You could give (e-)courses, (e-)books, classes, or private lessons. And, who knows, you might help them find their passion, take their business on a new level, or help them on their path to a more fulfilling life. It's the gift that keeps on giving!

BONUS:
6. If none of the above are applicable, you can always find something pretty, unique, eco-friendly and handmade on Etsy. Stuff is nice sometimes, and it's even nicer when you get to support a small business in the process :).

These are my ideas for giving something truly valuable this holiday season. I'll share a lot of quick handmade gift ideas tomorrow, and If you have more ideas, please share them in the comments!

xo. Hanna

Follow on Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. Olen su loeteluga täiesti nõus! Ja need kingid on head ka muul ajal kui jõuludel. Kolides kinkisime edasi palju raamatuid, mis oma aja meie peres ära olid olnud. Indias reisides nägin ühte toredat ideed, mida olen isegi rakendanud - raamatut edasi kinkides võiks selle siseküljele kirjutada oma nime, (päritolu riigi) ning aasta, mil seda lugesid. See annab põnevust juurde uuele omanikule, teeb raamatu väärikamaks ning hea on näha pikapeale, mis põnevaid inimesi ja kohti mööda on see reisinud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just! See nime ja koha idee on väga armas. Üleüldse võiks iga raamatu sisse kirjutada ka pühenduse, kui seda kinkida. See annab raamatule hoopis uue emotsionaalse väärtuse.

      Delete
  2. Giving something you already had is a bit a two-sided coin in my opinion - it's important it don't seem to the receiver "Oh, he/she tidied up his/her home and now had spare things", but that it's a thoughtful, personal gift. A good gift costs a bit of energy - an upcycled old thing, nice! An old book with personal dedication, perhaps with the giver's thoughts written in after every chapter - very personal! But be careful it does not seem like "I'm giving you my old things". And some people don't like secondhand things - keep this in mind.
    I like your tips, nonetheless. I often give DIY-things (at the moment, my sister is happy about the fabric weights I made her and my boyfriend likes his nerd-magnets, which both of them found in their advent calendars), but also like to buy things. When I don't have any idea, I ask the persons for wishes - and it really makes my happy that they often wish DIY things from me.
    I'm curious for your DIY ideas and keep reading! :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home