2014/12/13

5 Things I've learned // On goal setting

Remember the 30 days 30 goals challenge I began in October? Well, you might be wondering what happened to it. I know, I know, I was supposed to write the conclusion weeks ago, but alas, here we are, at the beginning of December.

Truth be told, I completed about half of my 30 goals. That would constitute a failed challenge, right? Well, so I thought at first, but the I started thinking. Whenever you learn something about yourself in the process of a challenge, it's always a win. So, here are 5 things I learned during the 30 days 30 goals challenge:

1) Long To-Do lists stress me out. The moment I compiled that list of 30 things I felt over-whelmed. I knew it was going to be hassle, and I already didn't want to do it. I hoped that the challenge would motivate me to work harder to cross things off, but no. Note to self: make to-do lists that are short and sweet, 10 items tops. Keep different category lists separately, because seeing them all together will freak you out.
2) Defining a manageable and well-defined goal is the key to success. One thing I noticed was that I crossed off most of the smaller, more manageable tasks that required a very specific action. Like, have shoes repaired, or take old clothes to H&M. Other tasks, like pack all kitchen items, or pack all clothing were left undone, because they depended on other circumstances I wasn't clear on at the moment, and were too blurry for me to take concrete action on.

3) When I don't need to do it, no list will make me. There were items on that list that I could've easily complete, but I still didn't because I was always out of time, and they just didn't seem that important. They were not things I needed to do, more things I thought I had to do.

4) I stink at time management. You see, I think I'm Wonderwoman. Yes, I believe I can accomplish a weeks worth of tasks in one day. And then I get all grumpy and self-accusing when it doesn't happen. All I have to say to myself is to just chill and give myself a break once in a while. Burning myself out is not going to help anyone.
5) It's all about setting goals that inspire. The list I compiled was full of things I dreaded. Packing all my things, sorting things out that needed sorting, getting all the work-stuff done before the move, cleaning, organizing and so on. Yuck! There was not one inspiring goal on that list. No make a blog business plan, or get nails done every week, or eat a healthy meal every day. Nothing that would motivate me to get going. It was all chores. I love goal setting, but I truly failed this time.

This challenge taught me a lot, so I guess it was still worth it. Did anyone else participate? If yes, how did yo do? Or, have you ever taken on a similar challenge?

I'm definitely going to do some challenges now and again. I'm not going to promise it'll be one each month, but we'll see what the new year has in store.

Have a wonderful weekend, friends!

xo. Hanna

2 comments:

  1. Mina konkreetselt sellest väljakutsest osa ei võtnud. Ilmselt samadel põhjustel, mille kõigeni sa ka ennast analüüsides jõudsid. Mulle meeldib, kui on kuskil need eesmärgid kirjas, kuid nad peavad olema kuidagi rohkem hajutatud tähtajaga (nt enne jõule tuleb teha need ja need asjad). Aga ma väga ootan uut ettevõtmist su poolt, sest mul on küll instagrammimine jäänud unarusse ning mõni laiem teema motiveeriks ilmselt seda jälle käsile võtma :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ka minul ununeb see hetke fotole püüdmine pidevalt. Mul on päris mitmeid ideid väljakutsete osas. Eks siis paistab, mis kõige rohkem indu tekitab :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home