2014/10/08

DIY low-cut socks

Hey, guys! Today I'm sharing a seemingly odd tutorial with you. I mean, who refashions socks, right? Well, I do. You see, I discovered I really needed some low-cut socks, but the ones I could find in the local stores were either too low-cut and wouldn't stay on, or not low-cut enough. So, I figured I'd just make my own from socks I already had, but couldn't wear with certain shoes.

If you don't think I'm crazy and would love to make your own custom low-cut socks, here's how:

You will need:

  • socks
  • fabric marker or tailor's chalk
  • scissors
  • lingerie elastic
  • thread
  • sewing machine

Step 1
Put your socks and the shoes you're making the socks for on. Mark where the socks need to end.
Step 2
Tale off your shoes and cut off the top using your markings as a guide. As you can see, I cut off a little bit more just to create an oval shape which would be easier to sew later on.
Step 3
Once you have your socks prepped, it's time to add elastic. Thread your machine and set it to a narrow (I used 3mm) zig-zag stitch.
Start from the back of the heel and start sewing. Pull the elastic as you go. This might take a little trial and error, so make one sock first, try it on and adjust your pull according to the results.
To finish off, sew the elastic end over the beginning of the elastic by about 0.5cm and then sew the ends together. Then, cut the reminder of the elastic close to the stitch-line.
That's it, folks! Just as easy as pie, really. I've actually gotten a lot of use out my custom socks. I tried out store-bought socks as well, but they weren't as comfy as me-mades. I actually acquired two new pairs of shoes that need this type of low-cut socks, so I'm really glad I made these.

Are you ready for a sock refashion?

xo. Hanna

Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. This is genius! I hate wearing socks simply because its so difficult to find the right height - I shall try this!

    Smart Hanna! Thank you for sharing :-) I'm normally not too interested in refashions but this is epic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could whip up a refashion to get you inspired!

      Delete
  2. you are such a genius! I don't know why I never thought of making my own. I totally have to same problem with not low enough or too low and are annoying cause they fall off. I will have to make my own!! I'm goin to be copying so many things you do!! I feel bad! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you for the high praise! I'm not sure about the genius part, but I do have my moments, hahaa.
      And you copy ahead, that's what tutorials are for :)

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home