2014/10/14

Sewn // Men's v-neck pullover for Rein

It seems I've been a pretty selfless seamstress lately. Well, actually, this pullover was finished in the spring already, I just hadn't gotten round to sharing it here on the blog. And, since I love documenting my sewing ventures for future reference, I thought it was high time to share the deets.

I've discovered I love sewing for men. Correction. I love making things for my husband. For one, it means I can make him something pretty, but it also means I can play his stylist (which I totally am anyway, haha). I actually have a stash of fabric with his name on it. I'd love to get a few more sewing projects done before the move, but we'll see about that.
Now, onto this pullover. I used a heavy knit I scored from a thrift store a while back. I think it might be a wool blend, but I can't be sure. I love the color of it. A really deep bright blue, almost electric, but not quite. It's hard to name exactly, but it looks so pretty in real life.

As for the pattern, I used a Burda magazine pattern - Burda 4/2007, mod. 130, which is actually a polo shirt pattern, but I widened and lengthened the sleeves and created a new neckline. I didn't have enough fabric to cut the neckband in one piece, so I had to break it up into 3 parts. I got the neckline inspiration from this pin. The metal buttons are from my vintage button collection. (Which is huge. I think I need some professional help.)
I love finishing sleeves and the hem with a fabric band instead of just a regular folded hem. I think it gives it a more durable, cleaner, and professional look.
The only thing I would change in retrospect is the sizing. I think, given the fabric I could've gone with a more snug fit, and I definitely should've done a narrower shoulder. But, you sew and learn, isn't it?
Even the most patient husband gets tired of posing for "just one more shot"
It's so hard to find decent men's patterns, so I'm definitely going to be using this pattern more than once again. I've actually made a simple v-neck t-shirt using it already, and I'm planning on a short-sleeved henley next.

My word of advice for anyone using a Burda magazine pattern would be to go at least one size down. I cut the smallest size for Rein, although most of his measurements were a size up. And my saga with Mari Krõõt's t-shirt showed the same tendency. Also, I made a muslin of a men's suit-pants pattern and it came out way too big for Rein. So, that's my 2 cents.
The reason I love Burda magazine patterns is that they're so cheap. And, after a couple of years worth of magazines, you'll probably have all the basic pattern you'll need. Also, when you're working with patterns from one company you'll soon know exactly which alterations to make.

Thanks for stopping by!

xo. Hanna

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home