2015/02/27

DIY Paint Dipped Flower Vase

Happy Friday! I hope you've all had a wonderful and productive work-week. Mine has been full of projects for the upcoming e-book. Who knew creating an e-book would be so much work? Oh, so you knew and didn't tell me? That's just plain mean, sistah. Just kidding! It's going to take a little while longer for me to finish the book, but so far so good. I've only got 3 projects to wrap up, and then it's time to do some writing. 

And since I'm all about doing decor projects these days, I thought I'd share a really simple one with you today. I like my projects budget-friendly, so I'm always on the lookout for low cost materials to make pretty things out of. These syrup bottles looked like the perfect beginning for some awesome vases. Ever since I found out a bunch of roses was only 2.99€ at our local supermarket, I've been excited to have more fresh flowers around the house. Sad thing is, we didn't have anywhere to but them really. 
 I like having things in threes, so I knew I wanted to make 3 of these in different but coordinating colors. I also wanted to try out a paint dipped effect, without actually dipping them in a paint bucket. Here's how I did it:
You will need:
  • glass bottles
  • painter's/masking tape
  • decor paint or spray paint  ( I used both: spray paint for the copper one, and wall paint for the other 2)
  • foam brush

1. Tape off the upper part of the vase. To get the paint dipped effect, place the tape diagonally down on one side of the bottle, and then diagonally back up on the other side. Make sure that the beginning and end of the tape meet.
For the cleanest paint line, go over the edge of your tape and make sure it's nice and tight around the bottle. 
When using spray paint, tape off all of the top of the bottle, but when applying paint with a brush of some sort, the one round of tape is enough.  
2. Paint the lower half of the bottle. I did 3 thick coats of paint so the surface would looks smooth and fully covered.
Let dry and you're done!
Note: Do not wash these in the dishwasher. Only hand-wash, without rubbing the paint, to keep your vases looking pretty for a long time.
I love adding little handmade touches to our apartment. Makes me feel so much more at home. My weekend will be spent finishing up the last projects for the book, and maybe baking a chocolate cake for hubby. We'll see!

How about you? What are you up to this weekend? Have any creative plans? What ever you do, have a great one!

xo. Hanna 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! Hubby thought so too, which is always a bonus in my book :)

      Delete
  2. Nii mõnusad värvid! Kus sa spreidega värvid väikeses korteris nii, et pärast ümberringi kõik koos poleks? Tänaval?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proovisin siseruumides ka teha, aga siis oli tõepoolest kõik kohad värvi täis. Viimased tiirud tegin kõrvaloleva ehitusplatsi peal ja sain palju küsivaid pilke :P

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home