2015/02/11

The secret beliefs of a fabric hoarder

my messy refashionista and fabric shelves back in Tallinn
There's an addiction that many seamstresses suffer under, and it's called fabric hoarding. It's a serious condition that makes a person buy and hoard fabrics despite the financial or spacial resources available to him/her, and neglect quality time with loved ones in favor of fabric shopping. Not being able to acquire new fabric for long periods may result in pouting, mood swings, and even anxiety. Seeing fabric after a period of abstinence may result in sweaty palm, trembling hands, and pounding heart.

My name is Hanna and I am a fabric hoarder. It's an addiction I've had for over 10 years now. Ever since I started sewing I've had the compulsive need to find, buy, and keep fabric. I used to think that it was a bad thing. But, not anymore. Others might say I'm in denial, but what ever...
Sure, it can become a burden, when you live in a small flat with little storage. And yes, it's harder to keep a clean room with piles and piles of fabric lying around. But, there's one thing I've learned to believe over the years - every fabric has a destiny. I know, it sounds super fatalistic, and maybe even a little bit creepy, but hear me out.

The way I see it, there are two kinds of seamstresses. The ones that get a fabric for a specific project, and the ones that seek a project for that special fabric they bought. Of course, we all dabble in both sometimes, but most of the time, it's one or the other. I fall into the latter category. I used to beat myself up for it, but I've learned that that's just how I relate to fabric, and crafting materials in general for that matter. I've never dug deeper into it, but somewhere inside I feel that each fabric in my stash has it's own destiny to fulfill. It's like they want me to hold on to them until that right project comes along.
Time and time again my sewing-life has shown me that's the case. I've had fabrics wait in my closet for almost 10 years before they get made into something. There are fabric that I've laid on the floor many times only to put them back on the shelf cause it just didn't feel right. But those moments, when the right fabric meets the right idea are the ones that make it all worth it. The hours spent in fabric shops, taking a look at just one more roll of fabric... The piles of fabric, clothing and notions filling up every inch of our apartment (both previous and this one). It's all for that special moment, when the plan comes together. When the magic happens.

After all these years, I've learned to accept my condition, and live with it. And honestly, although I sometimes wish I could just use up everything I have and stop hoarding, I wouldn't really give it up even if I could. I love looking at my fabrics and dreaming of all the possibilities just too much.

How about you, are you more of a hoarder, or a buy-to-use type of seamstress?

xo. Hanna

18 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I knew I wasn't alone! :)
    But my textile stash is really small. What I am really bad at letting go are jewelry and bookbinding supplies as well as any type of cardboard or stuff that can be turned into an unconventional painting or clay project.

    I took over half of the living room and I have two cabinets with 21 drawers which were overflowing to begin with. I am not even going to mention the boxes, cardboard, wood and plastic pieces... or the dining table that is being used half the time to store the ongoing projects...
    Thank God my husband loves me. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to CHA (Craft Hoarders Anonymous) :D!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Lovely to be here! :D

      I forgot to mention that by now friends are giving me their "old" jewels, because they know I will dismantle them and reuse them. :)

      Delete
    3. Ha! :D It's the same with me and my friends' unwanted clothing.

      Delete
  2. Love the way you defined OUR addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way you defined OUR addiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we're in this together, so might as well discuss it publicly. No shame! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm the other type of a seamstress - I won't buy a fabric if I don't see what can be made with it at the moment of purchase (that way I know how much I'll actually need and don't end up with odd length leftovers). Maybe it's also because I don't have a lot of place to store fabric - once my cupboard is full, I can't buy anything more until I use something from the stash. Thirdly, I don't have that much money to spend on fabric :D I've set a monthly budget and try to stick to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the other type of a seamstress - I won't buy a fabric if I don't see what can be made with it at the moment of purchase (that way I know how much I'll actually need and don't end up with odd length leftovers). Maybe it's also because I don't have a lot of place to store fabric - once my cupboard is full, I can't buy anything more until I use something from the stash. Thirdly, I don't have that much money to spend on fabric :D I've set a monthly budget and try to stick to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, clearly you don't have the addiction :D. The funny thing is, I always have a project in mind when buying the fabric (that is, my brain generates a potential project as soon as I see a fabric), but I have way more fabrics I could use up in 5 years.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love that definition in the first paragraph! I've definitely hoarded a few fabrics myself over the last few years (and garments to refashion too), as my interest in sewing has grown. Sadly, my skills haven't grown along with my interest, so now I find myself with quite a few fabrics waiting for me to turn them into something beautiful. What's frustrating is that for some of them I have the perfect project in mind, but since I'm not skilled at sewing, I'm so afraid of ruining that fabric in trying to create the piece I have in mind (and often even have the pattern for).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ana, you can totally do it! If you're sewing confidence is low, make a muslin first. Take a fabric you don't hold that dear, and try to make the pattern. It gives you room for trial and error and practice. I'm sure that after the test-run, you'll be all ready to cut into you nice fabric. And, by the way, I still feel intimidated by some projects, so it's completely normal. I'm constantly afraid to ruin a pretty fabric in my stash. Sometimes a project fails. You learn, and move on. But, most of the time, you'll be able to figure it out and make something completely wearable. Good luck!

      Delete
  7. Ma olen ka pigem ikka see koguja, ainult ilma ärevushoogudeta ostlemise ees :) Ja mu kangad on suuremas osas taaskasutusest, seega lohutan end sellega. Viimati imetlesin neid toonide järgi kastidesse sorteerides. Mulle nii meeldib mõte, et ükskõik, mis idee pähe ka ei tuleks, ma saan selle peaaegu kohe teoks teha, sest varu on alati olemas. See on ka õigustus mehe ees, kes aeg-ajalt vaatab küsivalt, kas tõesti on nii palju vaja, kuid projektide teostudes saab vastuse :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kusjuures, ka minu viimase 7 aasta varu on peamiselt nõukaaegne vintage, mis vanaemadelt vanatädidelt kogutud ja kaltukatest leitud. Mida rohkem ma taaskasutuse lainele läksin, seda vähem kangapoodides käisin. Aga see uue aarde omandamise kihk on ikka sees :). Ja mullegi meeldib see mõte, et nii kui idee välgatab, saab ka teostada. Selles osas valitseb hetkel kahjuks üsna nukker seis, sest siin on mul vaid väga väike osa minu kallist kangakollektsioonist.

      Delete
  8. still a hoarder trying to become a buy-to-use type ;))

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home