2015/02/25

My Cable Knit Sweater

Winter is always the knitting season for me. As soon as the weather starts getting colder, I get the itch to pick up a knitting project. Although I haven't shared that many projects on the blog, I actually very much enjoy knitting. It's one of the most soothing activities I know. Some of my proudest projects have been knitted. On top of the list is a lace knit cardigan with beads I knitted for my Mom a few years ago, and an Icelandic sweater dress I made for myself. 

As with all crafts, some years are more productive than others. This winter has seen a new wave of knitting for me. The projects are not many, but they are big. First, the scrap yarn throw blanket. And now, a cable knit sweater. 
I usually make my own patterns for knitting since the few times I've followed a pattern resulted in disastrous failures. I don't know what I do wrong, but even after checking for gauge, all my projects turn out at least 3 sizes too big. My last very painful disaster was the sweater I knit for Rein last Christmas, that I ended up ruining trying to make it wearable, and that I wasted a lot of hours to make. Sigh..

That's the thing about knitting though, a project like a sweater has a lot of room for error, which can lead to moments of utter frustration. This one also had a couple of those. I tried to do a high-low hem ribbing, and mostly succeeded, although I should have started with more cast-ons, and then decreasing the number with the short rows (if that makes any sense to anyone else but me). That was a valuable lesson for me as I'd never done a high-low hem before on a sweater (or anything else for that matter). Also, I counted the stitches wrong when joining the sleeves, so I ended up having to unravel many rows of knitting. Not a fun moment.
I love seed stitch! Seriously, I use it in most of my projects. It's one of those easy stitches that looks very sophisticated. So, the body is in seed stitch apart from the cabled front part, and the sleeves are regular knit. I thought it would be a nice contrast between those two with the raglan sleeves. By the way, it was my first attempt at a self-drafted raglan sleeve. Success! 

A little word about the yarn I used as well. My Grandma gave me this yarn for Christmas too many years ago. I had a hard time deciding what to knit with it, and so it just sat in my yarn pile. Now, when I was back in Estonia for the holidays, I thought it'd be the perfect time to start this project. It took me about a month to finish this. Would have gone a lot faster, but I usually knit only when I'm watching a series or film in the evenings. We should watch more of those, I guess.
All in all, I'm super happy with my sweater. I had a couple of hiccups along the way, but that's a part of the process. Initially, I'd hope to share this pattern with you, but it came out much more difficult, and the work that would go into making this into an easy-to-follow pattern with different sizing would just be too much at this point. But, you can browse other knit projects I've made for some other ideas.

A little update! The yarn i used is Bergere de France Eclair (74% acrylic, 14% mohair, 9% worsted wool, 3% lurex). The color is Taffetas, which I can't seem to find anywhere for sale. There are other colors available, though. Like hot pink, deep purple, plum, beige, white, and lime green on Amazon, and this site also has a lot of variety, including the light pink I used for a hat I'm wearing here.

I'm already sketching out a new spring sweater design. I hope to make something simple, so I could share the pattern with you as well.

Have you knit anything recently? Is knitting a seasonal craft for you as well, or are you a year-round knitter?

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Aitäh! Värvivaliku au kuulub mu vanaemale :)

      Delete
  2. Your sweater is gorgeous! I love the colour and the way you mixed textures with the two different stitches. And that high-low hem is just too cool - I love those, but it never even crossed my mind to try one myself.

    I love knitting as well, and though I've learned how to do it when I was quite little, I still consider myself a beginner. I haven't practiced much over the years and actually only finished a handful of projects, but lately I've been getting more and more into it (might have something to do with the fact that I opened an online yarn shop with my mom recently... :P). Being able to unravel and do it again if you make a mistake is actually one of the things I like most about it - I find it so much less nerve-wracking, especially when you're learning. (unlike sewing, where if you cut your fabric wrong, there's nothing much you can do about it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off, thank you! I love browsing Pinterest for style ideas, and then finding the right technique to make that style happen. I used short rows to shape the hem.
      A yarn shop sounds fun! I find looking at yarn always so inspiring for knitting projects. Much like looking at fabric inspired my sewing. If you ever want to talk shop collaboration with me, just drop me a line in my inbox ;)

      Delete
  3. WOW! You made that? You always amaze me with how talented you are. It fits you like a glove and the color yarn you chose is perfect.
    Julie | http://www.xfallenmoon.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You almost make me blush. This is the moment every crafter loves after finishing a project, when all the "Did you really make this?" comments start rolling in and you can light up and say "Well, yes I did!" :). Pure joy!
      I can't take credit for the yarn color though, since my Grandma picked it out and gifted me the yarn.

      Delete
  4. I have been reading your blog for several months now an I must say, I love it. You have got so many cute ideas! The sweater is very beautiful. It looks really cozy and it's so elegant.
    Knitting for me is both, sometimes I chill knitting gloves or something like that for myself, but sometimes it's not so very funny. That's because my hubby has got really big feet. So I have to knit socks all around the year. Normally I do this, when I am watching the TV in the evenings.
    Now in German, as I know, that you are living in Germany now:
    Ich lese Dein Blog seit einigen Monaten und muss sagen, ich liebe es. Du hast so schlaue Ideen. Der Pullover ist sehr schön. Er sieht so gemütlich aus, und er ist so elegant.
    Stricken ist für mich beides, manchmal entspanne ich mich beim Stricken von Handschuhen oder ähnlichen Dingen für mich, aber manchmal ist es nicht so sehr lustig. Das kommt daher, dass mein Mann wirklich große Füße hat. Also stricke ich während des ganzen Jahres Socken. Normalerweise tue ich das, wenn ich abends fernsehe.
    Best regards/ viele Grüße
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke schön, Christina! Es freut mich, dass du die Zeit genommen hast um hier zu schreiben. I liebe Projekte die so laufen, dass man gar nicht daran denken muss. Dann finde ich stricken an besten. Aber Projekte, die ich machen muss finde ich auch nicht so toll.

      Ich hoffe dich bald wieder in den Kommentaren zu sehen :)

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home