2015/04/30

Refashionista // Add a lace layer to a bland cardigan

Sometimes, a refashion idea takes time to form. This is NOT one of those times. This refashion came together pretty fast on one afternoon this week. I was going through my refashion material pile (it's amazing how quickly I've gathered one, considered I just moved to Germany a few months ago), looking for inspiration for the next few weeks of refashionista posts, and this cardigan just popped out.

The next step was to come up with an idea of what to do with it. So, I went through my notions and fabrics, and the lace scraps from my wedding dress popped up. Well, let's just say it was a no-brainer for this lace-lover.
 After the idea and materials were in place, it was just a matter of execution. And since I've already done a similar technique, it was a quick make.

I've said this before, but quick and easy makes will probably always be my favorite pastime. I mean, I love a good power project to build skills and create something you'll be proud of for years to come, like my concert gown, but if you just want to spend a couple hours creating and have a finished project at the end of it, these simple remakes are the best.
 Here's what you will need:

  • a cardigan
  • some lace fabric
  • basic sewing gear
STEP 1

 First, lay the lace over the cardigan at the upper front area. Just play around with the placement until you're happy with the way it looks.
 Then, cut out the pieces of lace to be sewn onto the shoulders. Make sure to cut them 1-2cm larger than the finished size. this makes them easier to sew on, and the finish will be neater once you cut away the seam allowance later on.
Pin the lace onto the cardigan. Make sure to only pin through the front layer of the cardigan.

STEP 2
Repeat the same process with the back of the cardigan. I wanted to create a motif out of my lace, so I cut away some of it along the edges of the lace motifs. Again, cut out the the piece of lace you're going to layer, making sure to add 1-2cm for seam allowance. Pin into place.

The lace patches should overlap at the shoulder seam.

STEP 3
 Sew the lace to the cardigan. Use a zigzag stitch for this and follow the seams of the cardigan. It's best to sew right next to the original seams of he cardigan. Start by sewing the two patches of lace together at the shoulder seams and move to the front from there.

Once the smaller patches have been sewn, go to the back.

To sew the uneven motif edges, I used a lightning bolt/stretch stitch and sewed about 2cm from the edge. This way the edges are still loose over the cardigan and give it more layered structure.
Once you're done with all of the sewing, remove all pins that might still be there and cut away the excess lace seam allowances. All done!

If you need more guidance on how to sew on the lace, check out this tutorial!
I feel that this is a 100% Hanna-like refashion. It's a cardigan, I added lace, and the result is just the right mix of feminine and classic. That's basically me in a nutshell!

I'm slowly but steadily building up my summer wardrobe (you can see my wishlist here). So far, I've made this cropped cardigan, a skirt and a blouse (part of the Start Sewing Club and to be blogged about in full in just a few days) in addition to this lacy cardigan, and of course the reversible tote bag. I really want to make a pair of floral trousers and a maxi dress. Everything else is an added bonus :).

Is anybody else interested in sewing their own summer wardrobe, or part of it? You know I have a sewing course coming, right? And you know we're going to sew a handmade garment, right? Just checking! (You can get on the list to get updates and special offers right below this post.)

Have a wonderful extended weekend! Make fires and enjoy the spring!
xo. Hanna


3 comments:

  1. Very classy, indeed!

    Tell me Hanna, what are your favourite/go to places to shop for lace? I always have some hard time trying to find something I like AND suitable for garments (as opposed to curtains and such)... Browsing the Internet isn't really helpful, because I'd like to be able to feel the fabric if I'm about to pay quite a lot for it. Lace can be expensive :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ola!

      As for lace, I haven't bought any since moving here, but usually I get it from local fabric shops in Tallinn. For smaller pieces I look through the notions section, which is pretty heavily stocked with stretchy and non-stretchy lace trims. Sometimes a 10cm or 20cm wide lace is all you need. And, they also have a section of dressmaking laces (vs curtain ones).

      Yes, lace can be expensive, and the selection is never as good as for fabrics, but if you want to touch and feel, you've got to source locally. Just always ask for dress-making lace and they should be able to direct you to their selection.

      Thrift-shops is another way. I always look for cheap lace garments that I can use as fabric.

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Very classy, indeed!

    Tell me Hanna, what are your favourite/go to places to shop for lace? I always have some hard time trying to find something I like AND suitable for garments (as opposed to curtains and such)... Browsing the Internet isn't really helpful, because I'd like to be able to feel the fabric if I'm about to pay quite a lot for it. Lace can be expensive :/

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home