2015/04/20

Words for the Week No.30 // Try and fail


These words have been on my mind lately. I can't say I've really succeeded in anything over the past few months, but I can sure say that I've tried. I've done my best each and every day, and this thought somehow puts me at ease. I've found that what I'm most scared of in life is not failure, but not being brave enough to try, and try again. To give it my all. Yes, failing sucks. But having not tried sucks even more.

I've noticed how much more I regret all the things I haven't done due to fear, than the things that I have done and maybe haven't turned out that great. Like owning my Etsy shop for example. It was no success story, but it taught me a lot about myself and what I really want in life. Without that "failure" I would not have learned a valuable lesson. And, I probably would still be wondering the "What if..."s and "why didn't I..."s. What I realized is that learning what you don't like doing, or what you're not good at is just as important as knowing your likes and strengths. Especially if you're multi-passionate like me.

The other important thing I've been noticing in other people's stories is how there really is no over night successes. Before that seemingly quick success you can usually find years of failed attempts. We were watching a show about Modern Talking yesterday, you know that 80's ultra popular German duo,  and I was so surprised to learn how both members of the group had actually had failed careers as solo artists before their success together, which, by the way, one of them didn't even want to be a part of at first, thinking it might ruin his efforts as a solo artist. It's a fascinating story!

I don't think there is one success story that comes without the doubt, fear and failure factor. Everybody who has ever achieved anything great has had those moments when either they themselves, or others, didn't believe in what they were trying to build. The moments when the shit hit the fan. The "NO!"s, the rejection, and the thought of not being good enough. Most everyone has those moments. It's part of the process. And, the sooner we accept it, the sooner we can move on.

This is a concept that has been the toughest for me to adapt, but I truly believe that there are no wasted attempts. Every failure is good for something. Every failure is a way to learn. Without it you would never learn the skills and knowledge to succeed.

Try -> analyze the results -> try to do better - >analyze the results -> rinse+repeat. I don't know how many cycles it will take me to get the formula right, but I'm willing to do the work to get there.

What's the one thing you really need to try again?

xo. Hanna

P.S! You can learn about my latest venture "The Pearls & Scissors Sewing Club" here, and join the mailing list to get the latest and the greatest right below!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home