2014/05/22

5 ways to save money on crafting

Crafting has been my favorite hobby for the past 10 years, so I'm not new to fabric hoarding or compulsive craft supply shopping. It seems that every time I discover a new craft, I go a little nuts. Like that period back in my early sewing days where I just couldn't walk by the fabric store without stepping in and buying some cute fabric. Then, when I discovered knitting, I would buy skeins and skeins of pretty yarn (most of it still unused). And after that there was jewelry making - I just had to have all those pretty beads, clasps, earring findings, elements etc. Does that ring any bells?

It's easy to get carried away when you're passionate about something. At one point I realized how much money I was spending on my hobby. The saddest thing was, I didn't even use most of the supplies I bought. I still have loads of fabric from my early shopping days, and yarns from way back when.
Over the past few years I've developed a few golden rules that I try to follow to save money and keep my passion from taking over my bank account. Today, I thought I'd share some of my rules, and other tips for saving money on crafting.

1. Make a craft plan. Oh, yes I said it. Plan your craft projects. Having a realistic craft plan is the key to saving money. First, make a list of things you want to make. I usually scribble down all my ideas and then pick one or two I want to work on in the next week or two. Then evaluate your time allowance - do you have enough creating time to make those projects? The plan only works when it's realistic :). Once you have a plan in place, buy only the supplies you need for the next 2-3 weeks. Of course, this doesn't mean I never buy anything outside my craft plan, but it has cut down my spontaneous oh-what-a-pretty-fabric type of purchases.

2. Plan projects with supplies you already have in mind. Another big one. The more you use the supplies you already have, the less you spend (duh). It's a no-brainer, really. But, in all honesty, haven't we all bought a new fabric, because we just couldn't find that perfect match for this new pattern we want to make from our stash? I can totally relate, but, instead of running to the fabric store, you could let your current stash inspire you. Instead of starting with the pattern, why not start with the fabric? That goes for other crafts as well.
3. Get thrifty with your materials. Thrift shops are a great place to get new materials. You can find pretty vintage fabrics for real cheap there, and you get bonus points for being eco-friendly. The earth wins, and you win :). Perfect for home decor and fashion projects.
I've also gotten a lot of fabric from friends and family. Many of them have fabric they bought in the Soviet days to get clothing made, but haven't used.
Another way to get thrifty with you materials is to reuse them. Made a dress that just didn't come out right? Be sure to unpick the zipper, remove the buttons, and if you can, reuse the fabric for another project. Same goes for store bought clothing. If you ruined a perfectly good shirt with you iron, remove the notions and reuse them. Or, if your purse is too warn out to wear, remove all the hardware.

4. Have a craft budget. For me, this was a really big step. In the early days, it was really easy for me to get carried away and not think about the money I was spending on my hobby. I mean, what's 2€ on a zipper here, and 5€ on fabric there. But, at the end of the month it added up to more than I was willing to admit. So, now I set myself a crafting budget for the month. When I haven't spent that amount this month, I can transfer it to the next month. Or, if I'm over my budget this month, I take it off from next month's budget.
5. Sell, and trade materials with fellow crafters. So, we all have materials that have been sitting on the shelves for years, and we know we're probably not going to use them, ever. Why not sell them, or trade with other creatives.
Clothing swap parties are super hot (and I've also spotted a few fabric swaps), so why not have a craft supply swap party? Invite some friends over, and have fun sipping wine and trading your supplies.
If you don't know any creatives, or just want to get rid of the supplies and not accumulate more, why not try and sell it online or at a flea market? If you sell your supplies, you get at least some of the money back, and you can invest it in future projects.

I hope you got some ideas on how to keep your creative fire from burning a hole into your wallet.




Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home