2014/05/01

Refashionista: Women's into men's long-sleeved t-shirt


Can you believe it's May already? It's getting hectic at school, which means it's going to get slow around the blog. But, before I bury myself into music history books, I've got some refashions and tutorials to share.

Today's refashion is one of the very few refashions I've done for men. It's not that I don't like sewing for men. I love men's fashion, sometimes even more than women's. The problem is finding the material for the refashions. As you probably all know, most men wear their clothing to rags, so thrifting refashionable men's wear in good condition is a rare occasion. Then, one day I had an idea. Why not use women's clothing as the basis for refashioned men's wear? It seemed like the perfect solution. So, I headed out to our local thrift stores, and found this XL women's long-sleeved tee, which translated into a well-fitting men's M. Yes, I do pat myself on the back for this one (lol).


As you can see, I changed quite a few things. The first things I needed to figure out was the neckline. The original neckline was way too wide for a man, so I had to make it narrower somehow. Since there was no excess fabric to work with, I opted for a deep brown jersey to compliment the original turquoise. To alter the neckline, I removed the existing neckband and cut the neckline into a round V-neck. The much wider neckband helped to make the neckline narrower and more men-appropriate.


The contrasting neckband needed some additions to create a cohesive look, so I added a small chest pocket, added some brown to the sleeve hems and also added elbow patches. Those suckers were difficult to sew on, as you can see from the photo below. Lets just say, that if you ever consider adding elbow patches to an already sewn sleeve, patience and basting are your best friends.


I'm totally smitten with the way this refashion turned out. I think Rein looks so handsome in it -turquoise is the perfect color for him. Maybe I'm a bit biased here, but I love this tee on him! I looking forward to transforming more women's wear into men's wear.



Follow on Bloglovin

5 comments:

  1. I would have worried about the shirt looking too feminine, but I think you did a beautiful job! It suits him well, and if I saw him walking on the street, I would never have guessed the shirt started as a woman's shirt. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the femininity/masculinity of a t-shirt is mostly in details. It's all about the width of the neckline with this one. A women's tee has a wider, more feminine neckline, so that's the main thing to change. This refashion was an eye-opener to me - turning women's wear into men's wear can be super easy!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kus juures ma oleks arvanud, et naiste särk jääb mehe seljas liiga lühike, aga tõesti nii ilus tulemus! Ja seda varrukatele õmblemise vaeva tean vägagi hästi - proovisin ükskord Atsile nahka mantlile õmmelda ja asi lõppes sellega, et tegin kõik käsitsi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eks naiste särke ole ka pikemaid ja lühemaid, tuleb lihtsalt hoolsalt algmaterjali valida. Mis puutub varrukatesse, siis olin minagi alla andmas (ja paksema rõiva puhul oleksingi andnud), aga kartsin, et käsitsi õmblus võib veniva kanga puhul rebeneda.

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home