2015/01/16

Refashionista // 3 Ways to embellish a beret

3 ways to embellish a beret
January is usually the month where I start getting tired of winter. I mean, when the winter starts it's fun to get out my hats and scarves and gloves, because I haven't seen them in months. I'm always waiting for the first snow, or some cooler weather to wear my winter wardrobe. But then, after the first (and second, and third) snow and the holidays, it feels like I've been wearing that same hat for months. And I get the winter fashion fatigue. Anyone else feel like this during January? Just me?

Well, either way, I thought this was the perfect time to show you 3 ways to embellish your beret and get excited about your winter accessories again. These are really easy and quick. In fact, I bet you could pull any of these off in just 20 minutes.
3 ways to embellish a beret
First, the classic bow with lots of beads. I love my pink beret - it's fluffy, and soft and pretty. So I wanted the embellishment to be sweet, feminine, and simple. I mean that's basically the definition of the bow, right? I'm so happy with the way it looks now.
 What you need:

  • ribbon
  • small pearls
  • thread and needle

 1. Make a bow out of the ribbon and sew it onto the side of the beret.
 2. Take your beads and sew them on the of the bow spacing them out as you wish.
3 ways to embellish a beret
For my second beret, I chose feathers for a more sophisticated look. I think I'd look so fashionable walking the streets of Paris wearing this beret.
 What you need:

  • Feathers
  • Big sew-on rhinestone
  • needle and thread

 1. Sew the feathers to the edge of the beret one at a time creating a nice feather fan.
 2. Cover the roots of the feathers with a rhinestone and sew it onto the beret.
3 ways to embellish a beret
Last but not least, you knew I had to add lace at some point, right? You know me too well. Lace is a classic and it looks good on almost anything, so I knew this was one embellishment I just had to use. It was the perfect fit for my red beret.
 What you need:

  • venice lace
  • seed beads
  • scissors
  • needle and thread

 1. Cut out the lace motifs and lay them on the beret. Find the pattern you like. I found I just needed 2 motifs.
2. Sew your motifs onto the beret. With every stitch, add a couple of seed beads to embellish the lace edge.

Hope you like the ideas and get inspired to restyle some of your own hats this weekend. We're having some pretty mild weather here in Germany, so I'm actually missing wearing my winter gear a little. But not enough to wish for cooler temperatures. If it's still the dead of winter where you live, I hope this will rekindle your love for winter fashion and bring some excitement back to your everyday wear.

xo. Hanna

Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Oh, kuidas mulle baretid ikka meeldivad...
    Pluss sul on nii ilusad lokid alati piltidel, fantastiline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baretid on väga sinulikud ka :). Aitäh komplimendi eest! Kui vaid viitsiks, võiks ju iga päev ilusate lokkidega ringi patseerida.

      Delete
  2. Hanna, sul on nii palju barette!:D Ja need sobivad sulle ka imehästi. Mulle kahjuks baretid nii hästi ei sobi, aga selliste ägedate lisanditega tahaks isegi proovida. See rohelise ja roosa kombinatsioon eriti armas ja julge:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma ei ole veel kohanud inimest, kellele barett ei sobiks. Seega, ma usun, et sinugi jaoks leidub oma barett kusagil :)

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home