2015/01/26

Words for the Week // No.25


Yes, you are right, this in not a courage related quote. Yes, it's still January. And yes, I haven't changed my mind about letting one little word hover over me this year. But, sometimes things come up that feel more important that what you had planned. And last week, I came about two links that I just had to share with you for so many reasons.

Some of you might think that the main reason I like thrifting is because it's cheap, or because I like to remake things, or for the thrill of finding a hidden treasure for a buck or two. And, don't get me wrong, those are all a part of why I do it. But, the main reason behind why I thrift, refashion, and create up-cycled accessories is because I care. I care about what I consume, what happens to the things after me, and most importantly, what happens to this beautiful planet of ours after I'm gone. I wouldn't call myself an environmentalist, but I do care.

I also care about other people around me. Which is why this documentary series moved me so much. The question being asked is not whether we know how it's possible for us to buy a t-shirt at a fast fashion chain for 5€. Rather, the question is "Do we care?"

I think we do care, were just too busy, far, and comfortable to do something about it. Like this 14-year-old environmentalist, eco-fashion designer, author and philanthropist (nope, I did not get her age wrong) put it - the issue seems so big and daunting that we hesitate to do anything. Who are we to tackle something so huge, right? While I agree, that it should be the companies themselves that take responsibility for the way they manufacture their products, I also think we as individuals can make a difference.

And the problem is not just in the sweatshops, it's also in the way fabric is made and used, it's in the way we consume and discard. We have the opportunity to step in and make a change in each and every step on the way from fibre to discarded clothing. And like I said yesterday, small steps go a long way.

I'm the first to admit that I'm not doing enough. Because of a hundred reasons excuses, vanity and ignorance being among them, I'm also just beginning to take those small steps. And, I'm far from saying that I'll never shop cheap, or I'll never discard clothing again, but I am making a very conscious effort to only buy what I truly love. And to truly love the things I have. Because, I think that the root of the problem is not really in that we value material things too much, but rather that we don't value them enough. If we truly valued the things we had, we would not be so eager to get rid of or replace them with the next seasons "must-haves".

There so much still to be said to this topic, but I won't get further into it at this point. I hope you will watch the documentary, and read the inspiring story of Maya, and perhaps think about what steps are you willing to take to create real change.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic, so please chime in in the comments.

xo. Hanna

13 comments:

  1. It is a very interesting area, and one that often pricks at my conscience...

    Hannah.
    http://surfjewels.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oeh, see teema vajutab mingile valusale kohale minus. Ma tean, et peaks mõtlema rohkem targema tarbimise seisukohast, aga siis leian minagi ettekäändeid (aeg, raha jms), miks teen lihtsamaid valikuid. Ja nii ma olengi kuskil kahevahel - tahaks ja peaks rohkem hoolima, aga laiskus saab liiga sageli võitu. Ükskord tuleb ilmselt endale siiski lubada, et väärtused ennekõike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tunnen ise tihti samamoodi ja ehk on ka see üks põhjuseid, miks see teema nii põletab, sest tean, et need "põhjused" on ikka rohkem laiskusest ja mugavusest tulenevad ettekäänded. Ja kui veel omal muresidki piisavalt, siis tekib tunne, et teiste omad ei mahu enam põue. Minagi loodan, et tasapisi saab minust ka hoolivam inimene, mitte ainult mõtetes, vaid ka tegudes.

      Delete
  3. I think that overconsumption also has a lot to do with pure vanity but also the social pressure to have something new on all the time and then it is kind of logical to buy clothes that are of bad quality and one can discard them after a year and get loads of new stuff. Wearing things that last and are comfortable - that is what we should aim for.
    As I am just coming back to Europe from Uganda, then something that really struck me there was the amount of Western second hand clothing sold everywhere and how this (in a way dumping our waste and making money out of it) has destroyed the textile industry of several countries.
    I would also encourage to have more clothing-swapping among friends or on a larger scale, seems to be not so common in Estonia yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it's important to make clothes that are high quality and fit well (meaning comfort). But, I, like many others, love pretty things, and love making pretty things. I don't think vanity in itself is the root of the problem (I mean, people were vain long before fast fashion became a problem) but rather how we express that vanity. If every piece of clothing I owned was made of sustainable or upcycled materials and would be later again upcycled or recycled, that would make a huge difference.
      Yes, it's a matter of how much we consume, but also a matter of what we consume.

      Thanks for pitching in, Kadi!

      Delete
    2. When I think about it then it seems that thanks to the globalization that has pushed production into countries with low wages, resulting in lower consumer prices and possibility to constantly afford to buy more clothes... people feel that they really need to have matching shoes to every possible outfit and different outfit every day and new pretty things all the time. Wouldn't it be different if one would have to spare for a long time to afford a pair of shoes or new skirt. /I am now talking about let's say average wages in random EU country/.
      We consume because we can and not because we need to.

      Ok, I am not stating that everyone should have only 1 pair of shoes and 2 shirts etc but interesting how we shall end up when the whole of Asia and Africa starts consuming at the same rate.

      Delete
    3. That's exactly what I meant. It's not the vanity per say, but the possibility to act on it. If we had to save up to buy our that pair of shoes or shirt or skirt we loved, we would appreciate them so much more, probably wear them until they are rags, and even then hold on to them for sentimental value.
      When I was growing up, I didn't have a lot of clothes, and I still remember my favorite pieces and hold on to them.

      Delete
  4. I came across an article about this documentary over the weekend as well and though I haven't watched it yet, getting that little summary from the article, I realized it's something that's been on my mind a lot lately, along with thoughts of 'how do we change it?'. The 14-year-old girls example is really inspiring, but I think the complete answer is that there is no ONE right way - there are many, with thrifting, refashioning, consuming less or not at all as great examples. I think overall consuming BETTER is extremely important and something that we all struggle with, especially in our fast paced lives; many of us don't have the time to do the research that we should before buying something, and the fact that there are so many cheap, quick alternatives doesn't make it any easier.

    Well, this has been a long comment but it's been on my mind, and I'm so glad to see on others' too. Going forward, I dream of being able to make a difference with the things I do and create, and I can only hope that it will have at least a fraction of what Maya has done already. 😄

    Hope your week is going great so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well put, Ana! Consuming better is the way ahead I think as well. And, like you said, there are lots of ways to make a difference, each one right in it's own way.

      Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing such inspiring stories!
    I watched the documentary and it was truly eyes opening. I didn't knew some things about that topic, and was truly touched by seeing how the conditions are.

    We truly as global citizens should be aware of what we do, and how what we buy or tend to fall for is made and in what conditions.

    Please keep up ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they touched you. I'm definitely going to share similar links in the future if I stumble upon them.

      Delete
  6. I so agree with what you say and am also pleased that you and others are aware and concerned about the problem. That is a big part of the solution because then we can begin doing something about it, and there are many things that can be done. Just realizing that we can quit listening to the commercials and make our own choices on things that really matter is so freeing. I don't think there is only one good way and only one right choice, but each individual has to work out from where they are, what is best for them. Although it seems many more people are going minimalist for a reason, maybe just to stay sane; because too much stuff besides being wasteful can make you a slave to it or make you go crazy. Anyway, this is a subject I am very much into and glad to see others are too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on this matter. I agree that we are all too often manipulated by the fashion industry into buying stuff we don't need (and sometimes even don't like), and that most of the time, having less is a happier place than having more than you can handle :)

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home