2015/01/21

Sewn // Self-drafted Patchwork Batwing Top

Patchwork batwing top by Pearls & Scissors
First off, guys, I just wanted to say a big thank you to all who have already participated in the reader survey. I've been loving reading through the answers. If you haven't gotten around to it yet, there's still time, so here is the link again.

Now, to todays project. This one has been on my mind for a long time. Actually, ever since I purchased a batch of industry leftover turquoise knit fabric scraps about 1.5 years ago. They were these long narrow strips, all about 20-25cm wide and about 1m long. I immediately fell in love with the softness of the fabric and the beautiful color. I had no idea though how to make use of these scraps. But, as with most things in my stash, an idea always emerges, I just have to wait for it.
Patchwork batwing top by Pearls & Scissors
Patchwork batwing top by Pearls & Scissors
And, as it goes, I had this idea one day. Why not sew the strips together and make one big piece of fabric to cut from? I almost loved the idea. But, I didn't like the thought of the seams running vertically across the garment. To fix this issue - why not cut the garment out diagonally? Boom! I had the perfect pattern in mind. A batwing top. It's easy, and doesn't have many seams. Too many seams would break up the already seam-full fabric and look sloppy.

Now that you're all caught up with my thought process...
Patchwork batwing top by Pearls & Scissors
Patchwork batwing top by Pearls & Scissors
I decided to draft my own pattern for this one. One of my goals for this year is to develop easy ways to draft simple patterns myself, and share them with you. So, a tutorial for the construction of your own batwing top is in the works and coming soon!

I sewed the top from start to finish only using my serger/overlocker. That little machine is my best ever sewing related purchase. So, if you're on the fence about getting one, I can't recommend it highly enough. To those who don't own a serger, I'll have tips to sew this on a regular sewing machine in the upcoming post.
Patchwork batwing top by Pearls & Scissors
Once I had done a little quilting and had my fabric in one piece, the rest of this top came together really quickly. There was a lot of fitting when I was cutting the pattern pieces since there was still fairly little fabric to work with, but I managed to make it work. There were only tiny scraps left when I was done. I love it when a project uses up all the fabric.

The only problem I had during construction was the neckline. And, I'm not loving the result. It's a bit too gaping. I cut the neckline too wide and deep, and since I couldn't cut the neck-band cross-grain, it didn't stretch enough for a snug-fitting neckline. Well, you win some, you lose some...
Patchwork batwing top by Pearls & Scissors
Overall, I'm loving my new top. The neckline aside, it came out exactly as I envisioned it in my head. It's a big win when that happens, don't you think? I mean, I remember my first few years sewing. Rarely anything turned out exactly as I thought it would. But, with every project, the percentage of success increases. And that's the really awesome part of developing my skills as a seamstress. 

What are you sewing these days?

xo. Hanna

10 comments:

  1. Love it! I've been dreaming up a way to use my stripey leftover jersey. It won't be as streamlined as yours but it should be interesting...

    I'm always inspired by the way you use up scraps and make them into lovely garments - like the coral jumper you made a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just noticed - is it the one in your profile picture?

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's the one in my profile. Good catch!

      Whn you have smaller scraps, you could just sew a sort of batwing shape out of them and later just trim the edges as needed. And, of course, with stripes it's always fun to try and make the stripes go different ways on different pieces. So you could pair a cross-grain cut with a long-grain on and that with a diagonal one...which ever pieces you have left. I hope you got my idea :)

      Happy sewing!

      Delete
  2. Love the color of your fabric! Very artfully done! I am gearing up to revamp some plaid ankle pants that have some issues; too big in the waist, tight in the thigh. I plan to add a tuxedo strip down each side to give me more room in the legs and I'll have to redo the waist band to fit. Not sure how I'll redo the waist band, I'll have to see how it all comes apart and goes back together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great plan! I'd take off the waistband, do the sides and once the fit is right, pin the waistband back on and adjust the side seams (take in what needed). Good luck!

      Delete
    2. That's the way I'd do it, too. I've seen a tutorial for it somewhere in the Internet - if you're not entirely sure how to get to it, it may be a good starting point to look for some advice online. The community is just so helpful :) Fingers crossed it turns out well!

      Delete
  3. "with every project, the percentage of success increases" - loved it, LOL :D

    Wonderful colour! I'm going to try this idea to use my jersey scraps, but I think I'll play around with some colourblocking. Already excited for the effect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Color blocking is so fun! I'd love to see the result :)

      Delete
    2. I'll send you a photo :) Unfortunately I need to pass my exams first, before I can squeeze some sewing time into my calendar :( But the colourful top will come in handy once spring is back, so no need to rush!

      Delete
    3. Please do! And good luck on your exams!

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home