2015/01/28

Sewn // Grey buttoned cardigan for Rein

 It's Wednesday again! This week sure is flying by, but that's what I say every other week, so it shouldn't surprise me. Anyway, I'm really been busting out some sewing projects lately, so I have a fresh one to show you today.

This cardigan for Rein has been on my to-sew list for about 1.5 years, which is actually not too shabby for me, given how some projects lurk on the fabric shelf for a decade or so. I had the idea when browsing Pinterest, as it often happens (TG for Pinterest), and then scored the fabric at the discounted left-over pile in a local Tallinn fabric store. The prices there are usually too high for me, but this was half off, so I took it. I new that squeezing a men's size cardigan out of it would be complicated to say the least, but I took that chance and hoped it would pay off.
 Well, as you can see, I did manage to squeeze, and I really do mean squeeze this garment out of that fabric. I had to cut the sleeves in to pieces and the hem band looks almost like an after-thought. I just didn't have anything left to cut it from. Needless to say, I had only tiny scraps left once I was done. Which is how I like it, so all is well that ends well. Although, for a moment after I'd cut the body pieces I did think I wasn't going to be able to cut all the pieces needed for this. I was a little panicky for a sec, but then I made it work.

What I learned from this project is that sometimes, cutting a pattern piece into two or even three pieces can really help make a tight fabric situation work. The fabric band for the hem combines 4 pieces I cut from the final square piece of fabric I had left.

Now, you might think at first glance that the cardigan is made of two different fabrics, but actually it's not. The fabric was a double-knit, so I ended up just alternating between the two sides of fabric to create this effect. That was my game-plan from the start.
I used vintage buttons from my stash. I'm so glad I decided to bring all my buttons to Germany. I thought long and hard about leaving them, but ultimately, I just couldn't. Buttons can be expensive, and having a stash around comes in handy.

I might have made the buttonholes a bit too big, but oh well...
The only part of the garment I'm not 100% happy with is the neckline (what's with me and those necklines lately). Since I had to, again, cut the band along the grain versus cross-grain, it didn't have enough stretch in it to make those neat curves on the shoulders. But, I guess it's not that noticeable when he's wearing it out and about. And he didn't mind it, so I guess it's all good.
As for the pattern, I used a Burda Magazine pattern (mod. 133 from 10/2008). I cut the smallest size, and ended up taking in 2 cm from each pattern piece on the sides, so a total of 8cm from the bust, and another 4cm from the sleeve width (2cm from each side). I always new Burda patterns were more on the large side, but taking into account that Reins actual measurements are a size up according to the size chart, that's a lot. So, whenever you work with Burda magazine patterns, check for the measurements on the pattern pieces before you cut, and when in doubt, always go a size down. That's why it's almost impossible for me to sew a Burda pattern for myself without major alterations, because even the smallest size is way too big for me.

One of my goals is to put together a range of tried and tested patterns for Rein, that I could whip up without alterations. So far, I've perfected a t-shirt pattern (more on that to come), and now I also have a cardigan pattern. I used to make every pattern only once, but now I'm seeing the benefits of perfecting the fit of one pattern, and them making different variations of it. A trouser pattern is next. I don't know if I dare try a Burda pattern, though. I tried to make him a pair that ended up being about 4 sizes too big, although it should have fit according to the size chart. I'm sure I'll figure something out.

What's on your sewing table?

xo. Hanna

Follow on Bloglovin

9 comments:

  1. Appi kui ilus töö! Materjal on eriti mõnusa koemustriga ja toon ka. Ja teostus paneb mind tohutult kadedust tundma, et ma ei oska üldsegi mitte lõike järgi riideid õmmelda, rääkimata konstrueerimisest. Super, ühesõnaga :) (Lähen nüüd emmelt ja vanaemalt lunima, et nad mind ka nii osavaks koolitaksid.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aitäh! Usu mind, ega mina ka 10 aastat tagasi nii ei õmmelnud. Siin kehtib ikka vana hea "harjutamine teeb meistriks". Ja lõike järgi õmblemine on tegelikult lihtsam, kui arvad. Burda puhul on ju nii, et pole mõtet neid instruktsioone lugeda, on segadust rohkem kui selgust. Pigem loogiliselt mõelda :)

      Delete
  2. That's a really beautiful piece of clothing! All the details make it look like it was made with love ;) Somehow it always ends up looking that way, when we sew for the ones we love, doesn't it? I mean, the shirts I've sewn for my boyfriend are flawless. I'm so, so, so careful while making them. The best-made garments I've made :D

    I totally get your frustration about Burda magazine patterns. They always need a muslin. I made a dress once. Copied the smallest size (which should work for me according to measurments) and it was 16 cm too wide! May not sound like a lot, but that't like 20% too wide... Crazy. I guess that's the way they draft Burda patterns, because it's easier to get something in that widen it, but hey, 16cm ease - that's an exaggeration!

    I'm looking forward to your ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Ola! I totally agree with you, I also work extra hard to make the clothing for other look amazing and be top-notch. When I'm sewing for myself, I let a lot of things slip :)
      I've thought about trying to sew a Burda pattern without adding the seam allowances. Maybe then it'll be half decent?

      Delete
    2. I've tried not adding seam allowances succesfully with skirt patterns. I just measure pattern pieces before tracing and then do some simple mathematics to see if it'll work ;) Unfortunately, with dresses and blouses it doesn't work that way (though I think it may work for some sleeveless designs). I've learned my way with Burda patterns and I always do a muslin when I'm working on a more complex project. I'm afraid of wasting my precious fabric :)

      Delete
    3. That's where I'm super lazy :). I think I've only once ever done a muslin for a project. I know I should, but I just can't be bothered.

      Delete
    4. Then you just must have a proportionate body ;) I'm pear shaped and I always need some pattern changes (or a lot of them for that matter, but when I see that a pattern needs too many alterations I can't be bothered to make it. I'm not that experienced with fitting and it usually doesn't turn out well if I try to fix it all. Guess that's why I love to have TNTs :D It's much easier to add a little detail to change the way a finished garment looks than struggle with fitting a brand new pattern.)

      Sometimes, when laziness fits, I opt for comparing a new pattern with a trusty one I already have made. If it's sufficiently similar, I may skip the muslin altogether - another advantage of having TNTs :)

      Delete
    5. Then you just must have a proportionate body ;) I'm pear shaped and I always need some pattern changes (or a lot of them for that matter, but when I see that a pattern needs too many alterations I can't be bothered to make it. I'm not that experienced with fitting and it usually doesn't turn out well if I try to fix it all. Guess that's why I love to have TNTs :D It's much easier to add a little detail to change the way a finished garment looks than struggle with fitting a brand new pattern.)

      Sometimes, when laziness fits, I opt for comparing a new pattern with a trusty one I already have made. If it's sufficiently similar, I may skip the muslin altogether - another advantage of having TNTs :)

      Delete
    6. Actually I also have a pear-shaped body (very much so), but I've always managed to change the fit as I go, that's what I was taught at school and by my Mom :)

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home