2015/03/05

Refashionista // 5 Projects with Fabric Roses

I'm kickin' it #tbt style today and sharing 5 past refashions I did using one of my all time favorite embellishment technique - the fabric roses made of old t-shirts. If you've been  here a while you might be familiar with my fabric flower obsession, but seriously, it's a really easy technique, and gets beautiful results. You can find the 6th project and the tutorial right here.

I fell so hard for my first fabric rose project, that for a while, I used them on every freakin' refashion I did. I just couldn't get enough!
This bag was made out of an old denim skirt. It was my first clutch, although, to be honest, I mostly still wore it with the strap. I love it dearly, though, since it's a 100% refashion, which means every bit of it is re-used. Except the thread - that was new.
The above 2 projects were modeled by Marianne. Some of you might remember her from my previous blog, and the early days of Pearls & Scissors. She used to help me out with modeling. Those were the days... I'm getting a bit nostalgic here.

The flowers on the blue top were hand-sewn. You can see the difference of hand-sewing versus machine sewing (bottom pic) well here. 
I love these roses, although the rest of this refashion was quite a bust. I altered it again and removed the sleeves, but since I really didn't like the color of this top, I never really wore it after. Lesson learned - always make sure you love the material you're working with before investing a lot of time and effort into a refashion or any other sewing project.

One tip I'd give for this technique is that less twisting and wider strips make for more textured flowers, and more twists and narrower strips make for flat flowers.

As you can see, I was pretty into these flowers at some point. Lucky for you, I branched out eventually, otherwise you'd still be looking at fabric flowers every week. Although, this round-up got me thinking about adding some roses to something. So, there might be a seventh project in the near future.

Have you tried this or a similar technique?

xo. Hanna

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember if I mentioned it here before but I made a brooch using your tutorial for these fabric roses. It's probably the only me-made brooch I wear ;) I love brooches but somehow haven't been successful with making them on my own - with the exception of the one inspired by your idea :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home