2015/03/19

Refashionista // Faux fur jacket to trendy vest

This has got to be the easiest refashion I have ever done. It took me a whopping 10 minutes to complete. Working hard these days, you know? Just goes to show how sometimes the smallest alteration can make the biggest impact and turn a slightly outdated look into a trendy must-have.

I got this jacket from an awesome Clothing Swap Party I was invited to last weekend. Thank you, Daniela! Basically, with one night Daniela and her girlfriends turned into sponsors of the Refashion series here at Pearls & Scissors. So, I should probably have a disclaimer at the bottom of the page that says "This post is powered by Daniela & Co." Also, I highly recommend getting your girlfriends together and having a swap party. It's so much fun!
At first sight, nobody was feeling this jacket, but I loved the color, and automatically had the idea to turn it into a vest. I mean, faux fur vests are all the rage these days. Plus, they are very comfy and warm. Perfect for the cooler spring days. So I crabbed the jacket, and had myself a vest the very next day.
The process of this refashion is pretty self-explanatory, but I would like to point out a few things to take into account when refashioning this type of garment, or whenever working with faux fur. 
I knew I wanted to remove the front tie-ribbons. I was never going to tie them, and to be honest, I didn't like this design feature in the first place. So, I took my seam-ripper to the scene and got to work. One thing to keep in mind when removing things from faux fur is that the seam is going to leave a mark. So, be sure you're ok with the mark and the seeming being visible after you remove something before doing it. 
 The next step was cutting off the sleeves. I tried two different methods for this and they both have their merits and faults.

The carpentry knife was really good for cutting the parts that had no seams. The benefit of the knife is that you can cut only the surface, meaning the fur hair beneath it will be left intact. This results in a nice clean cut and no short fur on the edge. Also, it's pretty easy to use and fast. But, it doesn't cut seaming. That's just too many layers for the knife to cut through.
 You can of course cut the sleeves only with scissors. Just make sure that you slide the blade as close to the base fabric as possible so you won't cut the hair short. That's just going to look like a bad haircut later. I cut the seaming with the scissors as it was too thick for the knife, and also the parts where the fur had got caught in between seams and I couldn't pull it loose. 

There's no need to sew the edges of the arm holes, so all you've got to do is cut those sleeves off and you're done.
Sadly, the vest turned out just slightly too big for me. I might still keep it to myself, since it's super soft and warm. I really do love it. I might have a cool mini-me version in the works using the cut-off sleeves. We'll see if that pans out. 

The takeaway from today's refashion - look for potential! If you'd love a trendy faux fur vest, go and shop at a thrift store this weekend. I'm sure there are more discarded faux fur jackets out there that need a little love.

xo. Hanna

4 comments:

  1. this colour is abslout trendy ;-)... perfect !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There's just something about pink that pulls on my girly heartstrings :)

      Delete
  2. That's really cool! But I can understand why you feel like it is a bit too big though. But the transfromation is astounding - it looked so grandma-like before and now really trendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't decided whether to give it away or still wear it despite it being a tad too big for me. It's really practical, but then again, I might not wear it as much because of the size. Perhaps a giveaway would be in order? But, then I could only send it to Germany, otherwise it would be too expensive.

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home