2015/03/13

Sewing plans for spring

Spring Sewing Inspiration


You should take a walk with me around the neighborhood to see how kiddy I get over spring. These past few days have been so sunny and warm, and I can't help but smile. It's the best ever! I'm a sun person through and through. I mean, rain can be fun sometimes, but most of the time, it just gets me down. 

The sun also gets me kiddy to start dreaming up ideas for my spring and summer wardrobe. I don't know why, but I'm all about warm weather clothing. People rave on and on about how autumn is the best with all the layers, but I'm a summer girl. This year I'm especially excited to sew something new as I know the summer here is longer than in Estonia, and hopefully warmer, and since I downsized considerably when we moved, it's a great start to build a new handmade spring/summer wardrobe for myself.

My parents are coming to visit in a couple of weeks, which means I can "order" some of my existing fabrics from Estonia, and I thought it would be good to gather some sewing inspiration before that.

1) Skirts & Dresses - Maxi skirts and dresses are my summer staples, so I'm definitely going to make at least one of each. I have this gorgeous black and white printed satin in my stash that's waiting to be turned into a maxi skirt since last year. And I have the perfect pleated version in my head, so expect a tutorial on the blog in a couple of months. I'm not sure about a maxi dress yet... Perhaps something along the lines of this pin I fell in love with.
I want to add another short skirt as well. I wore the Granny skirt refashion all the time these last two summers. I'd love some more variety in that department.
I've been wanting to make a simple striped knit dress for ages no, but haven't splurged on the fabric yet. Maybe this year. I'd also love to try my hand at doing a dress with some cut-outs. I think it would be a fun challenge.

2) Pants - Since I spend most of my time at home, usually crafting something on the floor, I could really use a pair of casual comfy pants. Yes, working in PJ's is pretty rad, but I tend to feel much more productive when I'm wearing an actual outfit. People have been raving about the Hudson pants, so I might give those a try.
I'm also in dire need of shorts. Currently, I have zero pairs, and I wasn't able to find anything suitable last year.

3) Tops & Tees - A few weeks ago I scored a lot of big turtlenecks from Humana, which I'm going to turn into simple tees to mix and match with the skirts. I'll definitely add another lace tee, since I loved the first one and wore it to pieces.
I have a plan to develop a very simple loose-fitting blouse pattern and share it with you guys on the blog. What do you think, anyone interested?

4) Sweaters & Cardigans - I saw this Anthropologie cardigan and thought it had a really cute but simple cut I could replicate at home. And I love the beige one above. That one's going to be a refashion (real soon). I'm also thinking of knitting a simple cotton sweater for spring. Maybe turn it into a knit-along, so all of you could join. What do you think?

Ok, that's a lot of words about sewing plans. But, now that it's out there I hope I can follow through. I feel as if I've neglected developing my sewing skills lately, and I'd really love to make an effort to learn something more this season.

Do you have special sewing plans for spring? Any patterns you want to try, or skills you would like to learn?

xo. Hanna

12 comments:

  1. Ma just paar päeva tagasi hoiatasin emmet ja vanaema, et nad peavad mind ka lõpuks korralikult õmblema õpetama. Kaua ma selline häbiplekk olen! Seega ootan sinu lihtsamaid õpetusi juba väga. Ja muide, mul on täpselt sama tunne - ilma õige riietuseta ei taha töö tõesti üldse edeneda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nii palju kui ma sinu õmblemist blogis olen näinud, siis vaevalt et seda nüüd häbiplekiks nimetada saab :). Aga areneda on alati mõnus ja uhke tunne.
      Suur kiusatus on küll pidevalt pidžaamas ringi tatsata, aga siis on ikka tunne, et nikerdan kuidagi niisama, mitte et teen tööd. Pole kunagi niimoodi kodust töötanud, eks selle õige rütmi kättesaamine võtab aega.

      Delete
  2. I want to start sewing again SO badly these last days! I have a dress going on for ages (I was waiting to get myself an iron and I bought one just a few weeks ago... Pretty lame to have a piece waiting for so long to be made for such a mino reason, I know...) but I am determined to finish it quickly! Also, I plan on making trhe Françoise dress from Tilly and the buttons, but also skirts and blouses I plan to sort my wardrobe this spring so I'll have room for handmade clothes! Also, I want to tackle my pile of clothes that need a bit of refashionong! I am looking forward to what you make, especially the maxi skirt since I love them as we!l!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I've learned over the many years I've been sewing is that there are periods where I just don't feel like it, and that's ok. I may feel that I want to, but somehow nothing gets done, projects pile up, and that's also ok. The point is, if this is our hobby and passion, you'll get back to it eventually, the energy will come back. Also, sometimes a project sits on the back burner for months because I somehow got stumped, or I just wasn't feeling it. For me, the best way to get out of that is to do a different project. Don't feel guilty about putting it off. This is supposed to be fun and inspiring!

      Delete
  3. I really like those hudson pants; maybe will have to try to copy that style from a too large pants, shouldn't be too hard. I also scored a couple of very nice mens shirts I would like to make over into something for me, but still looking for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the hudson pants have a pretty simple cut, but I think it's a great pattern for someone who doesn't want to mess around with altering patterns, or is a bit intimidated by this sort of meddling. It's a sort of tried and true, because a lot of sewing bloggers have tried it, and I haven't seen any that say it was a nightmare or the result wasn't wearable. But, as you probably know, I'm all about meddling and experimenting :P.

      Delete
  4. Oooh yes, please - a simple loose blouse pattern would be great! I usually wear slim fitting styles but I am starting to appreciate more flowy styles now too...there's something kind of romantic about a fabric that drapes loosely.
    Love your granny skirt makeover! Especially the lace edging at the hem! (So I'd say that was a happy mistake cutting it shorter than you had planned..lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on it! I have more simple sewing posts planned for the spring. Maybe even a sewing 101, we'll see :).
      Once and again, I have the fortune of making a right mistake :D.

      Delete
  5. Love the orange skirt! This would be just what is missing in my wardrobe..
    I also love spring and summer more than autumn. Layering is great but I get tired of it pretty soon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one drawback of autumn and winter is that no matter what you wear underneath, you still have to put on the same coat or jacket each day. I don't think any of us has like 10 coats to choose from. I 2 alternatives for winter, and it get's old very quickly. In the summertime, every cardigan turns into outerwear and you have so many more options to choose from. I love it!

      Delete
  6. Yes! And I also feel like I have more choices in general: what shoes to wear, skirts and dresses and so on... In winter I get cold to soon so I normally simply stick to pants. And that gets boring pretty soon. I also only own to winter coats...
    Also buying summer clothes is kind of cheapter than winter clothes. Coats are a lot more expensive than lighter jackets and so on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very true! And, also, summer clothes are mighty easier to sew as well :)

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home