2015/03/18

Style Pearls // Making an effort

 I don't know if you can relate, but it seems that there's this style learning curve I've gone through while working from home. At first, I was all about staying in my PJ's all day, sometimes not even leaving the house for a couple of days. Then, I got sort of sick and tired of wearing the same slacking off clothes each and every day, but wasn't motivated enough to do anything about it. And now, I'm slowly getting back into a rhythm of getting at least somewhat dressed every day. I even did my hair and make-up yesterday. I would only expect this to bounce back to getting dressed most days, and looking like a normal working human being again. 

What I've learned from this experience is that I love comfort, but I hate frumpy. Which means, I'm all about jeans with cool sweaters, and wearing comfy yet stylish dresses, but spending days on end in sweatpants will have a negative impact on my self-confidence in the long run. So, while it may be awesome to spend a day in my nighties once in a while, it's not at all awesome when I do it every day.
 The second thing I've learned is that not only does the way I dress influence my self-confidence, it also has an impact on my mood and my productivity level. I feel so much more productive when I get dressed and pull myself together. It sort of says to my brain that I mean business. That I'm not just going to goof off all day, or perhaps get a couple of things done "when I get around to it". It really sets the tone for my day, and I''m making an effort to start my days with lots of action. 

So, while I still gravitate towards comfort, I'm slowly building a new style for myself. I think whenever we make a huge transition, whether it's from an office job to a work-from-home situation, or staying home with kids, it takes some time to get used to the new routine, and it's implications to our style as well. It's not just about adjusting to a new work/life schedule, it's also about making those adjustments in other areas of life, including what we wear daily. 
Wearing // Sweater - from a clothing swap party / Jeans - gift from Mom / Top - thrifted / Shoes - thrifted and restyled / Earrings and necklace - DIY

On a completely other note, I'm still writing this on Blogger, so I haven't made the switch to Wordpress yet. It's taking longer than expected to set up my hosting and get all the ducks in a row before I can transfer the blog. But, it will probably happen before the end of the week. So, whenever you happen to visit the site, and see a weird message or something that's a bit off, just know it's ok, and the blog will be up and running like normal in no time. 

I'm excited, but super nervous about this transition. It's a whole new platform to learn, but I'm confident it's the right move.

Also, thank you all  who have given me much-needed feedback, and who have tried to help me with my job-search. You are seriously the most supportive internet friends out there!

xo. Hanna

8 comments:

  1. Räägi, mis on Wordpressi eelised Bloggeri ees? Ma olen päris ammu selle kolimise peale mõelnud, tegin isegi lehe ära, aga siis tundus, et see ei ole ikka hea otsus. Nii et anna tuld põhjuste osas, miks sa kolid ümber :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oi, see on nii suur teema... Täpsustuseks, mina kolin WP .org platvormile mitte .com. Seal on suur vahe. Ehk et õks põhjus on see, et ma kolin ära Google'i serverist tasulisse serverisse, ehk et oman rohkem kontrolli oma asjade üle. Teiseks, WP'l on rohkem erinevaid funktsionaalseid võimalusi, mida ma pikemas perspektiivis kasutada tahan. Bloggeril on loomulikult omad eelised ja eks kõik taandub lõpuks ikka sellele, mida sinul oma platvormilt vaja on. Mõlemal on oma plussid ja miinused. Ma ilmselt kirjutan sellest ka pikema loo siis kui olen üle kolinud ja veidi aega WPga tutvust teinud.

      Delete
  2. I really can relate to what you've said about being more productive after you've put some effort to dress up. There were weeks when I stayed at home for days and studied all the time. It was extremely exhausting and choosing my outfit in the morning was the only creative activity I had - and I started to appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent way to view it! Style really is a great way to practice those creative muscles when that's all you have time for at the moment.

      Delete
  3. kuule, sa oled ikka jõhkralt ilus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally relate as a working-from-home girl! I use to wear lots of dresses and colorful outfits, and make up every day, but since I started working from home, all I want is comfort, but no pyj since I wouldn't feel productive that way! I only wear them on very, very hard days, and I ususally quit them by the middle of the day! And since I don't see anyone, why would I wear makeup? So I feel kinda ugly and lose my fashion mojo (I used to be the excentric girl back when I was a student) but if I dress up, I feel a bit ridiculous. But I should force myself to dress up more and wear all my beloved clothes again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I've found helpful is finding more outings like taking care of an errand, or going to the store to give me a good excuse to get dressed and wear a little make-up. But, it's definitely a balance thing. I used to love wearing pretty outfits, but as you said, doing that at home does feel a little bit silly.

      I hope you'll find your style mojo again!

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home