2012/12/20

DIY Pom Pom/Bobble for a hat


I used to wear bobble hats when I was a kid and I remember loving my huge bobble. Somehow, that love faded over the years. But now, bobble hats are making a big come back and I'm wondering why I ever thought they weren't cool. You can turn any hat into a bobble hat by making your own bobbles/pompoms.


I made this a few years ago, but haven't been wearing it much. I guess it lacked a bobble. I'm loving it now.

Click below to see the tutorial!





1. - 3. Take a piece of cardboard and fold it in half. Draw a circle - the larger the circle the bigger the pom pom. Cut the circle out (both layers of cardboard).

4. - 7. Draw a small circle in the center of the bigger circle. Make a cut into the circle until the inner circle and cut out the inner circle. Now you should have 2 identical templates. Keep them together while working the next steps.

8. - 9. Start winding the donut shaped template with yarn. Wind a thick layer - the thicker the layer the fuller the pom pom/bobble.

10. Place the scissors between the two cardboard donuts and cut the yarn. Keep your thumb in the center to hold the yarn in place.

11. Cut a string of yarn and wrap it around the yarn ball between the two cardboard donuts. Make a strong knot pulling the center of the pom pom together.

12. Remove the templates, trim any longer yarn ends and attach your finished bobble to your hat.

Happy bobble making!

8 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so glad you wrote about this. I've wanted to make a pom-pom this way for a while now and I knew I learned how to do it when I was in middle school, but I couldn't remember all the steps. I've tried the quicker method of wrapping the yarn around your fingers but I found that it only makes small pom-poms that wouldn't quite work for a hat.

    I'm so excited about this! :) Hope you're having a great day and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned this method in elementary school as well, but hadn't used it for years. It's good to remember all the things we learned as children. They might come in handy someday.

      Delete
  2. Wow that's crazy simple!! I think I'm going to use this pom pom technique to make favors for my best friend's shower! =)

    Happy Holidays!

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, Chloe! Hope they turn out fab!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely amazing. can't wait to try this out... was looking for a pompom tutorial too :0

    x Elena @ Randomly Happy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great, where did you get your hat from?

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home