2012/12/18

Taking a Knitting break

If you wondered why there wasn't a refashionista post yesterday, it's because I spent 9 hours yesterday knitting my voice teacher a shawl. And the day before that I was busy knitting pair of half mittens/wrist warmers for my accompanist, and the day before that I knit my friends a hat for her Birthday. Phew! I can't remember was the last time I knit that much.


If you're interested, here's the pattern to the lovely Annis shawl. It took me "only" 9 hours to complete. But it does look really pretty.


I didn't use a half mitts pattern for these, I just knit the way I would knit a pair of mittens, leaving the fingers open. I used a lace pattern to create visual interest, and I thought I'd share it with you as well.

So, if your interested in using this pattern, here you are:
The pattern is 15 stitches long and 6 rows high.
1. row: knit 2, k2tog (knit 2 together), knit 3, 1 yarnover, knit 1, 1 yarnover, knit 3, ssk (slip one, knit one, pass slipped stitch over the knit one), knit 2, repeat if necessary
2. row: purl all stitches (or knit if working in rounds)
3. row: knit 1, k2tog, knit 3, 1 yarnover, knit 3, 1 yarnover, knit 3, ssk, knit 1, repeat if necessary
4. row: purl all stitches (or knit if working in rounds)

5. row: k2tog, knit 3, 1 yarnover, knit 5, 1 yarnover, knit 3, ssk, repeat if necessary
6. row: purl all stitches (or knit if working in rounds)
Repeat from the beginning.

There's a lot of secret Santa stuff to take care of this week, so my blogging may be a little more sparse than usual. I love making handmade gifts, even if it takes me 9 hours to complete. Off I go to finish another knitting project!

8 comments:

  1. Very busy - love the colours in that scarf - they work really well together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the colors as well, it's a pretty yarn.

      Delete
  2. Oh how pretty!! I wish I knitted...I always get the yarn all tangled in on the rods...=P

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we all have our favorite crafts, mine are sewing and knitting. I'm sure you have other crafts you love.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely beautiful. Wish I had the patience and skill to knit such lovely things/ Hope your wrists are getting a well deserved rest now!

    x Elena @ Randomly Happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that after 7 hours I was almost ready to give up, but I kept pushing myself to finish the race. After 9 hours I felt like I had run a marathon. I was so proud of myself!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I have knitted only a few projects, so I have a couple questions. What size needle did you use in the half mitts? And can I use straight needles? Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used 4mm double pointed needles and knitted the half mittens in circles with 5 needles (like you would with regular mittens) placing the lace pattern on the back of the hand.

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home