2012/12/10

Guest DIY: Printed tea towels with Randomly Happy

Turn your drawings into tea towels

Happy Monday, my friends! I have a special treat for you today as Elena from Randomly Happy is here to share a very cool DIY with you. These printed tea towels would make a wonderful Christmas present. They're practical, pretty and have a touch of handmade. And why not make the tea towels yourself as well? 

Turn your drawings into tea towels

Hello Hanna's lovely readers, I'm Elena from Randomly Happy. I'm so chuffed to be spending some quality time over here on Pearls and Scissors. Like Hanna I'm always on the look out for a way to personalise things.

With Christmas just around the corner, I thought I'd share an idea I've been cooking up for ages - a simple way of printing your drawings and images onto tea towels. It's quick to make, takes few materials (just a scanner, printer, and special printer transfer paper), and it would make the perfect personalised gift for anyone on your Christmas list.

I used a drawing I made on the computer, since I wanted it to be very simple and graphic. But it would be just as easy to do this with a hand drawn image (if only I were that talented). Or you could even write out an old family recipe and transfer it in the same way... how nice would that be for your mom, aunt or someone whose celebrating Christmas in a new house? Seriously, there are so many possibilities... I wish I'd bought more paper now.

Turn your drawings into tea towels

Turn your drawings into tea towels


You will need

Your favourite, giftable drawing
a scanner
a printer
printer transfer paper
a tea towel
an iron

How to print your drawings onto a tea towel



1. Take your sketch and scan it into the computer. Of course, if you're using an image straight from the computer you can skip this part.

2. Using some sort of photo editing software (like Photoshop, GIMP or Picasa) reverse or flip your image, so that it's a mirror image of what you want to print. This makes sure the image you end up transferring is the right way round.

3. Take that fancy printer transfer paper of yours and print the image directly onto the paper.

4. Cut out your image, cutting as close to the image as possible (the instructions on my paper said to leave a 5mm boarder).

5. Put the image face down on your tea towel and iron on your hottest setting, making sure to iron the whole surface of the image, including the edges. I did this for about 2 minutes.

6. Let the transfer cool before *carefully* tearing away the backing paper. Now admire your work, happy in the knowledge that you've just made something totally gift-able! 
Hope you all have a great Christmas!

8 comments:

  1. great DIY - it's also the best motivational reason to get my printer fixed! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll get you're printer in order and can try it out. Good luck crafting!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea!! I need a printer now...this would be great for my last minute gifts! =)

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Transfer paper looks like a lot of fun. I'm just imagining all the designs I could do. This would be such a great gift and you could personalize it for each recipient.

    Great hint to flip the image... I'd forget that part... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! I mentioned on Elenas blog I've started framing tea towels instead of prints as a money saver and this would be perfect for that! http://www.skinandblisterblog.com/2012/06/home-hung-out-to-dry.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I love this idea! Just a question, do you iron the paper directly onto the fabric? what type of papers did you use? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggy,

      Good questions. You'll need to buy special printer transfer paper. Ypu print your design onto that and iron the paper directly onto the fabric.

      Elena x

      Delete
  6. HOLA, COMO STAS... INTERESANTE TU BLOG, ME ENCANTO..¡ TE FELICITO.
    AHORA TE SIGO, TE INVITO A QUE ME VISITES Y VEAS LO QUE YO HAGO, SERAS BIENVENIDA SIEMPRE..
    BESOS, ABRAZOS Y BENDICIONES.
    ZHOBEYD@.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home