2012/11/19

Refashionista: How to re-knit sweaters


Happy Monday, my friends! The closer we get to the end of year, the harder it it to make projects for the blog. Not only is it getting super busy in school, but the days over here are getting shorter and shorter, which means daylight is hard to come by. Therefor, after pics on the hanger. Times are tough, I'm telling you.

Anyways, today I'd like to share a clever way to alter knitted sweaters. It's not always easy to alter sweaters and make them look correct and "like new" after the transformation. Sometimes, however it's possible to make the alteration virtually undetectable. Here's how I shortened the sleeves of this black and white sweater:


1)  I decided how short I wanted the sleeves to be. Then I factored in the length of the new ribbed part. Then I started to detach the unwanted part of the sleeve. First, cut one strand of yarn. Make sure it's only one.
2) Start unraveling the row of stitches. Just pull the strand of yarn that you cut open.
3) This is what the sleeve should look like once you're done unpicking the row of knitted stitches.
4) Now you can easily pick the stitches on to knitting needles and knit a new ribbed sleeve end.

This method can be used to re-knit any part of the sweater, or knitted socks of mittens.

This was harder to put into words than I thought, so if you have any questions, please ask in the comments and I'll try to clarify.

Don't forget to enter the Giveaway! Entries are open until Midnight tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home