2012/11/11

Sunday Spirit: Family cuisine


As you may know, I'm not much of a cook. There was a period way back in my teens when I loved making all sorts of pies, but nowadays I'd rather leave all the cooking to my other half. The only things that I make are the tried and true recipes I've learnt from my Mom.

I think we all have some sort of family cuisine that influences our tastes and our cooking. One of the favorite recipes I've learned from my Mom is sweet fried bread. We always ha the principle in our household that you shouldn't waste food. Whenever white bread started to get old my Mom would make yummy fried bread. And if you want to try, here's a little recipe (it's not an exact science):
1) Take 1-2 eggs, whip them with a pinch of sugar in a shallow wide bowl (a soup plate is perfect) and mix in a sip (about 1 dl) of milk.
2) Heat the pan and add a bit of oil.
3) Dip the bread into the egg-milk mix making sure it's soaked.
4) Put it into the pan and fry from both sides until golden brown.

They taste the best when still warm. I love to add a coat of whipped cream to make it extra yummy.

Bon apetite!

5 comments:

  1. That looks really good! I'm going to have to try this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tastes good as well! Let me know if you liked it.

      Delete
  2. My mum used to make it for me and my brother (when we were little) for Saturday breakfast :) Exactly the same recipe! We call it "French toasts" but I have absolutely no idea where the name comes from...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how the same things are made all over the world? Aren't they delicious? My Mom often made them for breakfast as well.

      Delete
    2. That's right!
      Oh yes, they ARE delicious :)

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home