2012/09/18

Beading Basics: Memory wire bracelet



I remember when I first started making jewelry. I bought just a few notions to make earrings, and after making my first pair of earrings, I was hooked. I was so excited to make my own jewelry - I could make a new pair of earrings every day and the possibilities were endless. 

The basics are pretty simple and once you've mastered them, you can always learn more. But, I think having the basic skills will give you so much more freedom in your style, because you can design and make your own custom jewelry that's 100% you and nobody else has it. 

So, here's a simple project perfect for a beginner.



You'll need:
1. Beads - I used an assortment of different size beads that I had left over from previous projects.
2. Memory wire - it's a pre-bent wire that holds it's shape. You'll need the bracelet size.
3. Wire cutters - the one tool you can't do without when working with wire.
4. Round nose pliers - there are all kinds of pliers, but in my opinion, the round-nosed ones do the trick most of the time.


The steps are very simple and self-explanatory, but just in case:
1. Start beading the wire. I just crabbed the beads at random differing between smaller and larger ones to create a nice textured but non-symmetical look.
2. Just keep adding beads on the wire as long as you have as many bracelet layers as you'd like to have. I went for 5.
3. Bend a loop to one end of the wire.
4. Make sure all the beads are nice and tight and cut the wire about 1cm after the last bead. Bend the tip just like you did the other end.
5. There you have it!

My beading terminology is so bad in english, but hopefully the pictures speak for themselves. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask in comments or via email. I'll do my best to answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home