2012/09/24

Refashionista: Floral dress to peplum top

Happy Monday everyone! And mondays mean refashions here at Pearls & Scissors. Today I'm sharing a total reconstruction project. It's too specific to make into a tutorial, but I thought I'd give you a little refashion inspiration.


Sometimes there is really no way of fixing a garment the easy way. This floral dress was just such a case. It had lost it's shape and it didn't look pretty on me either. But the moment I saw it in a local reuse center I fell in love with the pattern of the fabric. Such a pretty floral pattern, and I had just the perfect project in mind for it. I knew it would make a very pretty peplum top. I was reassured by the making of my first peplum top that it was a very good silhouette for my body type and I knew I wanted to make one more.

Now, I know it's way past summer in these parts, but I think a sleeveless top like this can easily be transitioned from summer to fall by adding a cute cardigan or jacket. Either way, when I get inspired, I want to make it no matter the season. And I'm glad I did!


I did a complete reconstruction with this one. I cut apart the whole dress and recut the pieces with my peplum top pattern I combined from a simple tank top pattern from Burda and Victory pattern's Ava dress skirt panels.


I used an old white t-shirt to cut the binding for the armholes and neckline. I love when I can make a project using only the things I already have. Oh, and I got the dress for free from the center for buying a big box of buttons. So all in all the material cost of this top was 0€.


I'm rocking the top with my pearls & scissors earrings and the recycled braided bracelet (tutorial here).

How was your weekend? Mine was super creative and I have several awesome crafty projects lined up for you over the course of the next couple of weeks.

10 comments:

  1. You look adorable. A great refashion and an inspiration on a very wet and grey UK day. Thanks for sharing and hope the shop's doing well.

    x Elena @ Randomly Happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elena!
      Our day here in Tallinn was also very wet and windy. Cold and grey, which is why I resent fall.

      xo Hanna

      Delete
  2. LOVE the top!! Great transition idea from summer to fall for us in the southeastern USA where our temps will flip flop constantly between 55 and 85 (Fahrenheit) for months! I envy you all with a proper chill in the air for autumn - I have more clothes for colder days! Thanks for sharing. Peace Out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I so envy you! That's called summer over here in Estonia, only the range is mostly from 55 to 75. I've always thought I was born in the wrong country climate-wise. That's why I can never let go of summer (you'll probably see me sewing bikinis in February :D).

      Delete
  3. Thanks for discussing and wish the store's doing well!!!

    SB

    dress shirts
    custom shirts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific blog post! I’ll enroll exact at this point wth my best feedreader program! Nehru suit

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home