2012/09/03

Refashionista: Vintage long-sleeved jersey shirt transformation


Happy first day of school to all the school kids! I'm so excited to go back to school and hopefully I can share some snippets of my first school week coming Sunday. But, for today, it's another round of refashionista.
I got the sweetest e-mail yesterday from a friend telling me how inspiring my blog is to her and how she has started refashioning herself. That just makes me super happy! It really does, because that's what blogging is all about for me. Spreading the enthusiasm and creative energy and inspiring others to give a go at making something with their own hands. It's such a gratifying feeling. So, if you haven't already, make that first step/project and you won't be sorry.


Today's refashion might be a little bit more specific, because I don't know how many of you have these types of shirts at home or have seen them in thrift stores. It's a collared long-sleeved shirt made of jersey knit. These were common in the old USSR, but I'm not so sure about the rest of the world. For this reason I didn't put together a tutorial. But, I did take some pictures during the construction process, so if there's enough interest, I can give you the step by step.


The shirt was given to me by my grandmother. She said both her and Grandpa had the exact same shirt (what?). So there should be another one somewhere in the closets.


The idea to turn it into a t-shirt came the moment I saw the shirt. The material is just great - it has some stretch in it and it doesn't wrinkle. But, when I was done with the shirt I didn't quite see myself wearing it. That happens sometimes, the idea is good and all, but it's just not for me. So, I gave it back to my grandmother. She looks great in it! Another full circle. Love when that happens.


Oh, and the earrings in the pictures will soon be in the shop. I'm having a bit of parting anxiety, I just don't know how I'll be able to part with all the buttons.

What do you think about the refashion? In your ballpark or not? Have you seen these types of shirts? Would you be interested in a tutorial? Tell me in the comments!

Update! You can find the tutorial for this refashion HERE.

17 comments:

  1. Such a great refashion. hat fabric looks delicious. Wish we had a few more of these types of shops around here, but, I wonder, are they always the same colour?

    x Elena @ Randomly Happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elena! It's not always the same color. I have one that's not even monocromatic, it's a sort of pattern.

      Delete
  2. so clever! what a great way to make something usable again

    http://ahandfulofhope.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo I love this idea!! I might go raid my dads shirts after seeing this! Your such a pretty little thing you could be a model along with your brothers girlfriend lol. I think the shirt looks fantastic on you but your grandmother must be happy to get it back remade lol. Well done very clever. I love reading your blog and really love your business idea I hope it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments! You make me blush...

      Delete
  4. I can' t believe you wouldn't wear this! I would buy it off a rack. Absolutely love it!! I just found your blog from Merrick's Sew and Tell series. Love it!

    www.domesticatedworkingwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lins! I loved the result as well, but it just didn't feel "me". And I'm always happy to give something back to my Grandma. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. love this! found you at merrick's art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love it, would love the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have some process photos somewhere, so I'll try to work on that tutorial.

      Delete
  8. I would love to see a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! Considering this kind of refashion on one of my boyfriend's old work shirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a superb idea! I'm sure it'll be fabulous!

      Delete
  10. Any chance you ever posted a tutorial for this shirt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did, Brianna! Here's the link: http://www.pearlsandscissors.com/2013/01/refashionista-how-to-turn-long-sleeved.html
      I'll put it at the end of the post, so thanks for asking!

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home