2013/01/02

Wardrobe Reinvention: 3 ways to wear the little black dress


The little black dress is definitely a wardrobe staple, and I'm pretty sure we all have at least one in our closet (or we should have). That being said, I realized I haven't worn mine that much since I thrifted it a couple of years back. Putting together 3 ways to wear that cute little number seemed just the right challenge for the first wardrobe reinvention of the year.


I believe that the only way to make more use of dresses is to incorporate them into our daily wear. I put together a casual look by layering a country style shirt under the dress.


For a more festive look, I added a sparkly scarf that my Grandma gave me. I tied the ends of the scarf in the back under the scarf creating a shrug effect.


A surprise favorite combination is this one - crochet blouse (made by me) over the dress making it more of a skirt. I added the wide belt to accentuate the waistline. And the funniest part is, I threw this together just for fun, I didn't really think it would work. I haven't worn the crochet blouse in ages, which is really a shame, since I spent all my genetics classes in university (I need to take some serious action to keep myself awake at 8 am) making it. I love this outfit! So much so, that I put it back on for New Year's Eve.

How do you wear your little black dress? Does it get lots of wear or do you pull it out only for special occasions? Do tell in the comments!

11 comments:

  1. Hanna, your little black dress is so beautiful, and I love all 3 outfits that you created around it. I have a black dress too that I haven't worn yet because I didn't have any special occasion, so like you, a while ago I figured I don't need any, I can just incorporate it into everyday outfits - can't wait, especially now with all this inspiration!

    Also, I love that crochet top you made, so impressive! :) Crochet is something that I haven't tried yet (though I would like to this year) but my mom has really been enjoying it these days, so maybe I can convince her to make me something! :P

    Hope you're having a great start to the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wonderful new year to you, too! Thanks for the compliments! Crocheting is not my favorite craft, and that blouse really is the biggest project I have ever tackled. Maybe you can get your Mom to teach you the craft and assist you in making yourself something really pretty.

      Delete
  2. I love the sweater! Do you remember what pattern you used?

    KT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where can I find the pattern for your crocheted top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern I used came from "Die kleine Diana Häkelmode" nr 3 2006, a German craft magazine. I don't know if it's available anywhere on the internet or not.

      Delete
  4. Seriously adorable! It's amazing how far a little black dress like that can take a gal. You did a wonderful job remixing this!

    Callie
    www.coffeeandcardigans.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Callie! A little black dress is must have in my book.

      Delete
  5. I, too, ADORE the pink top with the black "skirt".....but I can easily admire your skills from afar w/o aspirations to try crocheting myself.....I'm back at struggling with Granny squares & even that proved difficult for moi!

    Oh well....I did get very inspired to try LOTS of my stagnant/thrifted dresses (hidden in closet) as SKIRTS now....wish I had some cute tops ready-to-wear but that may require more shopping :)

    As always - thanks for sharing your ideas today and over the holiday....the wonderful photos of your winter wonderland were just lovely! What an amazing environs....I have snow envy, big time....Happy New Year, Hanna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha! Not every craft is for everyone (remembering my first quilting experience still makes me sigh). I'm glad you got some style inspiration to try out yourself.

      As for the snow envy, we've had plus degrees for the past week resulting in a lot of melting, ice, watery and slippery roads, and all over gloomy grey days. Not much to envy anymore. But the holidays were really wonderful.

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home