2013/01/28

Refashionista: Lace heart sheer back tee


Welcome to the first themed week on Pearls & Scissors! Doing themed weeks was one of my goals for the blog this year, and here's the first of the series. Since Valentine's Day is just around the corner, I thought a Valentine's themed week would be just the right fit. So, over the course of the week I'll share some sweet projects to prepare for Valentine's day.


The first project is this cute lacy refashion. It's one of those really simple 30-minute projects that adds so much to a simple garment.


The process is really simple:
1. Take a simple t-shirt and measure the width of the back. Now draw a heart shape on paper a little bit narrower than you shirt back.
2. Place the heart template on the back of your shirt (turned inside out) and use a fabric marker/tailor's chalk or a chip of soap to trace the heart shape onto the shirt.
3. Take you lace fabric (preferably with some stretch in it) and place it over the heart shape. Make sure it cover the markings. Pin into place about an inch from the heart shape. If you can't see the heart shape through the lace trace it onto the lace as well. You have to see it to be able to trace it when sewing.
4. Sew along the markings with a zig-zag stitch. When sewing knits, make sure to use a needle suitable for knits, otherwise you could have trouble with skipped stitches. Once you've done with the sewing, turn the shirt right side out, and cut out the the heart shape inside the seam. Make sure you cut as close to the seam as possible.

It's the same basic method I used in this tutorial as well.


I'm very happy with this simple refashion. I have another cute top in my wardrobe, and I used only thrifted materials, which is just an added bonus in my mind. I think it makes a perfect piece in a Valentine's day outfit.

6 comments:

  1. Ah, mis seksikas punane pesu piilub pits-südame alt välja...
    Väga ilus!
    Pits on põhimõtteliselt moes ja maru ilus vist igal ajastul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pits on väga minulik, ma ütleks. Klassikaline, ilus, elegantne. Ja natuke vallatu ka! :)

      Delete
  2. Easy but what a staggering effect! :)

    I love your hair colour! :) (especially on the first photo, I don't know if it's because of the light or the camera settings...) Is it new, or isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The hair color is sort of new. I colored it in the beginning of January. I used L'oreal's casting creme gloss, mixing the darkest blond shade with amber. I love the caramel shade that the amber adds.

      Delete
  3. I adore Your idea, it's so trendy :-) I'm thinking of making similar on my own, but using turquoise color for the t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! I think you're version will look amazing!

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home