2013/01/07

Refashionista: How to turn a long-sleeved jersey shirt into a t-shirt



After this project was featured on Merrick's blog, some of you asked for a tutorial. When I first posted about it, I thought this might be a little too specific, but since you asked, I put together a little tutorial of the transformation process.







Firstly, cut off the sleeves and the collar close to the seam.
Put the shirt on and mark your new armhole (1.), neckline (2.) and how much needs to be taken in form the sides. I opted for a loose fit. Mark the new length of your t-shirt (3.).
Take the shirt off an put it on a flat surface. Draw a new neckline using your markings as reference points (4.) Cut the new neckline out.
Cut off the excess form the hem (5.), making sure to factor in the seam allowance for the new hem. At this point it's good to also cut off the excess form the sides (you'll sew the side seams last). Fold the hem, iron into place and sew with a twin-needle or zig-zag stitch.
From the excess fabric you cut off, cut three 5cm wide strips (use the sleeves as well if needed). Fold them into half and iron. Now take a strip and pin it to the right side of the edge of the armhole, making sure that the cut edges of fabric are even (6.). Sew into place (the seam allowance is 1 cm). Reapeat on the other side.
Repeat the same process with the neckline. The only difference is, that since I had buttons in te front, I needed to sew the ends of the strips shut before attaching it to the neckline. I pinned the strip so I could see how much I needed to cut off (7.) and then cut off the excess piece of strip leaving 1 cm for the ending seam. I removed a couple of pins, folded the strip inside out, and sewed the end shut (8.). Then I turned the end right side out again and pinned it back to the neckline. I did this with both ends and then sewed the neckline seam (9.).
I finished the armholes and neckline by topstitching the seams.
Once all of that is done, there's nothing more to do than sew the side seams and cut the thread ends. And you're done!

This was a lot harder to put into words than it was to sew. So, if you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to explain better.

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic job! Thank you for sharing this! I have a few shirts I found at garage sales that could use just this.

    Cheers!
    Aubrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aubrey! Sounds like a great idea refashionind those shirts.

      Delete
  2. Super adorable! I think it's a great idea for repurposing an old top instead of donating it or throwing it away. I might try to do this as the weather warms up and make some summer tops. Thanks for sharing!

    Callie
    www.coffeeandcardigans.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of making some more for spring and summer as well. They're really easy to make!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sonia! I wouldn't say I'm a pro, but I'm getting better every day.

      Delete
  4. Very nice! Pinned:) New follow for your page, fb, and pinterest. My last post to Fashion Co-op was spooky skeleton key necklace. Stop by and follow back:)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home