2013/01/22

Refashionista: Constructing a waistline with shirring


A funny thing happened to me yesterday - I forgot what day it was. Has that ever happened to you, that you just forget what day of the week it is. So, while I thought it was still the weekend (since I have this week off from school), it was really Monday. And that's why there was no Refashionista post yesterday, like there usually is. Sorry, if you were looking forward to it!

Today's my Monday then, and here's this week's refashion project. Today I wanted to share an easy and quick way to nip in the waist of a boxy shirt. Shirring is a very easy technique, but very effective when it comes to refashioning.


I used it to construct a fitted waistline on this buttoned up shirt I found while going through my Grandma's numerous closets.

Just click read more to learn how I did it.





Start by marking where you want the waistline to be. After that trasfer the markings to the the other side and to the center front and back of the shirt. These markings will guide you when sewing.


Now to the shirring part. Shirring is nothing more than sewing with elastic thread. Thread your bobbin with elastic thread (like you would with regular thread). Thread the needle with regular thread.


Shirring contains sewing long zig-zag seams a couple of centimeters apart. So start at your first marking and sew from center front to center front (leave out the button part) around the shirt. Sew a seam every 2 cm until you reach your second marking.


This is what it should look like once your done. Knot the thread ends and you're done. 



15 comments:

  1. How adorable! That's really something what these sewing machines can really do! Love it! It looks as good as if you bought it!! =)

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across this technique last week and I really like it, but I have to say that the shirring projects that I saw then didn't even compare with your button-down. I just love how it turned out, and I think it's going to make the shirt look even better (than it would without the shirring) when tucked into a high-waisted skirt or pair of pants.

    Happy Tuesday and I hope you're enjoying your week off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana! I'm totally enjoying my week :)

      Delete
  3. I think i would never been able to to this ;-)).. but it looks great !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone can do it! If you can sew a straight line from one marking point to another, you can do it. And you can always use a ruler to draw the straight lines, so it's even more easier.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love this! I'm a sewing novice and assumed shirring would be difficult but you've totally inspired me to have a go now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much easier than it looks. The machine really does everything for you, the only thing you need to do is wind the bobbin with elastic thread and you're good to go.

      Delete
  5. Hello,

    Lovely clothes you are making. I adore your enthusiasm and creativity.

    Btw, what sewing machine you are using? Mine- Singer 8280 gets broken for the second time, and this time I am thinking of investing in something better.

    I'd be happy if you can recommend one for a amateur enthusiast.

    :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the kind comments, Polina!

    If your looking for a solid machine that will get you through the years, I'd recommend something more mechanical than my Husqvarna Viking Interlude 445. I was in awe of it because it had the pretty electronic numbers plate and what not, but to be honest, I have never used all of the 39 different stitches. A simpler machine with the basic stitches and mechanical knobs would probably be better and have more force to sew through the thick stuff. I actually have a 100-year old Singer at home and it's the best machine I've ever had. Unfortunately, it only does a straight stitch. I don't know anything about the newer Singer versions, I do know that Husqvarna has some real quality machines, and I've heard that Bernina is also a good brand. My coverstitch machine is a Janome, and I can't really complain about that one either.

    Hope this babble helped a little:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    Thank you, actually very helpful comments :).

    Btw, my grandma also owns over 100 years old all metal Singer sewing machine, with one whole leg pedal for both legs. This was the reason I bought Singer again - sentimentality. Although, hers is still working, mine gets broken twice already.... :) Ironic. :)

    But anyway, thanks and keep on doing your wonderful blog.

    Good luck with the shop too!

    Polina


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the description I'd say your Grandma and I have the same type of Singer. They knew how to make a machine back in those days. But, the company is not the same anymore I guess. Good luck with finding a new sewing machine!

      Delete
  8. are you going straight across or are you sewing from the middle out on both sides?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sewed straight across every row in one seam.

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home