2013/04/25

DIY Flower embellished t-shirt


I've probably said it before, but I'm not much of a t-shirt and jeans kind of girl, but sometimes they are just what the day requires. And sometimes I'm just lazy like that and don't feel like dressing. For those days, I like having a couple of feminine t-shirts in my wardrobe. I developed the fabric flower embellishment method a couple of years ago, and I've used it quite a lot since then - on t-shirt, sweaters, bags.


It's fairly simple and can be easily customized to your taste. Make the flowers bigger, smaller, add one or two or as many as you like, the way you like it.


First you need to cut long strips of jersey fabric about 5cm wide. The length of the strip will determine the size of the flower. Here's how you make the flowers:


Make as many as you want, bigger and smaller ones and then place them on the t-shirt according to your desired design. Pin them to the t-shirt and once you're happy with the way they look sew them onto the t-shirt. You can do this by hand or with a sewing machine. I usually do it with a machine, sewing a triangular seam on every flower. It's important that the seams secure the center and the end and every layer in at least one spot.


If you have any questions about the tutorial, just leave them in the comments and I'll try to clarify.

Happy designing!


10 comments:

  1. LOVE this idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a beautiful and easy way to jazz up a tee :) Will have to do this for my daughter (and myself) :) Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome! I'm sure your t-shirts will look amazing!

      Delete
  3. Okay, I'm kind of feeble fingered sometimes. Could you do a youtube video of making these flowers? For a non-crafty person like me? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never done a video before, but I'll think about it. I'm not a tech-friend though :P

      Delete
  4. Yes a video would be very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I don't have time for doing it at the moment, but I'll do my best to make it happen.

      Delete
  5. I made a brooch today using some flowers made with the help of your tutorial. I decided to add a bead to the center of each flower. It looks fantastic! Thanks for inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds beautiful! I haven't used these for brooches, but I have added beads also for some added cuteness. Great job!

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home