2014/08/26

DIY Easy Two-layered Gathered Lace Skirt

Tutorial for a really simple gathered lace skirt
Tutorial for a really simple gathered lace skirt
Did you know I used to hate wearing a skirt? Well, actually the reason I hated it, was because I detested wearing tights. Fortunately, I got older and used to tights, but I still prefer to wear skirts mostly during summer, with bare feet. And, seeing that I don't own that many shorter summer skirts (I only seem to be wearing this one I made last year) there was a cap in my wardrobe that needed filling. Then, in a couple of hours, I made this super simple gathered lace skirt with two layers. The cool feature about this skirt is, that the inner layer is a pencil skirt, and the outer is a gathered skirt. I love this combo!
Tutorial for a really simple gathered lace skirt
Here's how to make your own:

You will need:
1) An old t-shirt or stretch fabric
2) Lace
3) 5-cm-wide elastic
4) 2-cm-wide elastic
5) Sewing Machine
6) Pins, safety pin, scissors, thread
Start by constructing the underskirt:

From t-shirt
1) Find an old t-shirt that is your desired color (that you want peeking through). The width of the t-shirt waist has to equal the width of your hips.
2) Cut off the shoulders and sleeves, then sew a curved line from the top until about the center (marked lines on the image above).
3) Cut the excess seam allowances.
4) Measure the length of the elastic you'll need by pulling it around your waist. When it's nice and tight, make a mark and cut. You'll be using the 2-cm-wide elastic here. Or, you can also use lingerie elastic, whatever works better for you, or what you have at hand.

From scratch
1) Cut 2 rectangles of stretch fabric. The width of the rectangle equals you hip measurement divided by 2. The length equals the desired length of your dress minus 5cm.
2) Place the two rectangles right sides together and mark a curved line to the side seam similar to the one marked on the image above.
3) Sew side seams.
4) Cut  the excess seam allowances.
5) Measure the length of the elastic you'll need by pulling it around your waist. When it's nice and tight, make a mark and cut. You'll be using the 2-cm-wide elastic here. Or, you can also use lingerie elastic, whatever works better for you, or what you have at hand.
6) Hem the skirt if necessary.
 The second step is to sew the lace skirt:
1) Cut a rectangle from the lace with these measurements: width = 2xhips, length = finished skirt length + 7cm (+5cm for hemming, if you want).
2) Make a canal for the elastic. sew down 7 cm from the top of the lace. Most lace fabrics don't fray, so just fold 7cm to the wrong side of the fabric, and sew with a 1cm seam allowance, creating a 6cm wide canal for the elastic to go through.
3) If need be, sew the hem.
4) Attach a safety pin to on end of the 5-cm-wide elastic (which should be the same length as you used for the underskirt) and guide it through the canal. Makes sure to secure the end of the elastic to the end of the canal so you don't accidentally just pull it through (it has happened). Also, secure the other end once you get there.
5) fold the lace, right side in, and sew the back seam shut, securing the elastic as well.
6) Fold the seam allowance open on the wrong side and sew the elastic down, just for better comfort.
Tutorial for a really simple gathered lace skirt 
Tutorial for a really simple gathered lace skirt
Yes, I did make mine out of an old curtain, if you were wondering :). I always try to find new use for old materials, so I gave it a try. I really like it, so I'm happy I took the risk.

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial and that it sparked a little creative fire in you!

xo Hanna

Follow on Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. Kaunis naine ilusas seelikus! Pildid on ka täitsa kukimukid :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma tänan! Minu meelest on pildid kohe lausa ilusad :)

      Delete
  2. Endless creativity from you! Thank you! :))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Polina! Sometimes it does seem to end, but eventually, it always comes back with a new wave.

      Delete
  3. ever since you have posted this it has been on my mind! i was already planning to do something similar and bought cute fabric and everything but wasn't sure what to do for the bottom layer and the next day you posted this! i have been meaning to come on here and tell you that it is brilliant to use an old t-shirt as the pencil skirt base!! it turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing with inspiration, I think. I always seem to stumble upon similar ideas once I've had them myself. Maybe I take notice more. I find it's so good when you've been struggling with the execution, and then somebody just gives you the answer, and you're like "yes, I could do that!". I hope your skirt turns out just as you imagined.

      Delete
  4. It's a really good idea. I think to use it for my daughters... and for me !!!
    Thank you for sharing.
    And thank you for doing the necessary to let me leave comments !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome! Thank you for your kind words and for stopping by!

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home