2014/08/14

Sewn: The Cologne dress

I've started to sew more from scratch this summer. I'd drifted away from it in the past couple of years, but I'm finding my way back to patterns and fabric. Well, to patterns I can hack easily that is. When i started sewing about 10 years ago, I usually followed the pattern exactly, but as years went by and I did more and more refashions, I also used patterns less, or only in a modified way. So, now I look to patterns more as a starting point for my own vision.
Which is why this dress doesn't follow a set pattern, but is rather my own design brought to life with the help of a very simple jersey long-sleeved t-shirt pattern. I used a Burda pattern as the base for the upper part of the dress, but modified it considerably. I raised and widened the neckline in the front and reconstructed the back as a faux-wrap. I also shortened the sleeves.
I used a thrifted lace from my stash and paired it with a fuschia pink knit I bought for this project for the lining. In real life you can see more of the fuschia peaking through, which I like. I used a really cool and easy way to attach the bodice to the skirt using an elastic to do all my gathering and matching. If you're interested, I could do a tutorial on it. Let me know in the comments.
I made this dress for my Cologne auditions back in June, but I guess it wasn't a lucky dress for me. But, no matter, I still like it, and I'm sure it will have better luck in the future.

xo Hanna

Credits // Author: Hanna Saar // Photography: Anneliis Volmer // Photo editing: Hanna Saar

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful dress! Maybe it wasn't lucky so far, but give it time. Maybe you just need to make your own luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you think, and I always appreciate your comments and thoughts. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. That's adorable! And my progression away from patterns matches yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's a natural path to stray away from pattern once you get better at sewing.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful - love the wrap back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this dress. Since I am overweight, I would probably lose the waistline and make the skirt longer. I have never altered a pattern and am not sure I could at this point, but it like the changes you made to this dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the placement of the waist depends more on the body shape than weight. But, I guess it comes down to preference as well :).

      Delete
  5. Oooh soo beautiful. ..tutorial pretty pretty please !!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home