2014/08/21

Sewn: The After Midnight Dress

 
Although I contemplated sewing my own wedding dress, I thankfully realized the stress it would cause me and made a much wiser decision of giving that important task to my Mother-in-law. I admire the seamstresses who tackle their own wedding gown, but I knew it would be too much for me to handle with all the other wedding stuff. However, I did make myself the after-midnight dress. Here in Estonia, it's the custom that the pride changes out of her wedding dress at midnight, the point where she is no longer the bride, but a married woman. I'll tell you a little bit more about this tradition in the upcoming post about our wedding traditions. But, for now I just wanted to share my second wedding dress with you.
I thought it would be sweet to incorporate some of the details of my wedding gown in the second dress as well. I cut an open back (should have gone for an even bigger plunge there), added the sweetheart neckline to the see-through lining, and cut a high neckline in the front like my gown had.
I used stretch fabric for the dress because 1) I love working with stretch fabrics 2) I've had this net lace type of fabric (it's like mesh with straight lines of thread and sequins sewn on) in my stash for about 9 years, and I finally found a project for it. I was super excited to use this fabric after so many times of taking it out and thinking about what to make out of it, and putting it back every single time. Nothing ever felt right, until now. I guess it was simply waiting for its time.
The funny story with the skirt is, that I actually meant for the side to be the front, but once I'd sewn together the two sides, I loved how the stripes met in the side seam, and the I just made the side seam the center, and vice versa.

It was the perfect dress for our after-party. It's super comfortable, yet so pretty, and the best part is that i know I'll wear it again and again. I think it's so sad that you only get to wear your wedding dress once. I know I'll think of our wedding every time I put on this dress.

xo Hanna

Follow on Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. Absolut loveley !!...Great work. The layers look soo cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous. You're so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So stylish! Love the idea of the layers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Väga ilus kleit, tõepoolest! Ja mu esimene mõte oli ka, et seda saab ju edaspidigi kanda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma olen üldiselt õmmeldes suhteliselt praktilise meelega, ehk et asi peab olema ka mugav ja kantav. Neid ballikleite võib ju ka õmmelda (ja see on suur saavutus), aga neid on tõesti vaid paar tükki vaja, ülejäänud võiks siiski olla veidi igapäevasem.

      Delete
  5. You look so gorgeous! When I saw it I did think it looked similar to your wedding dress and was wondering why you had some a lovely very wedding like dress if you already had one - I look forwards to your traditions post :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm working on the traditions post, so it's coming this week, probably on Saturday.

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home