2014/09/11

DIY Flared jeans into skinnies with an embellished cuffed hem

Sparkling cuffs for my jeans
Flared jeans used to be all the rage. I remember getting my first pair of flares back in the 7th grade. I felt so fashionable, you wouldn't believe. Now, most of us have already stepped on the skinny jean train, myself included. Although, it did take me a couple of seasons to really get into them. Somehow, I thought I'd look terrible in skinnies. But, luckily I got over it.

So, when I was going through the to-refashion piles back at home, these flared jeans sparked an dea in me. I'd seen a pair of embellished and cuffed jeans on Pinterest ages ago, and thought this would be the perfect match. Also, it's the perfect project to bust some rhinestone stash I had left over from other projects.
Sparkling cuffs for my jeans
Sparkling cuffs for my jeans (click through for details)
 Materials needed: 
1) jeans
2) pins and scissors (only when modifying the cut of the jeans)
3) sewing machine (only when modifying the cut of the jeans)
4) rhinestones, embellishment stones, pearls, beads
5) glue (E6000 works best)

 Step 1 
 If your jeans are already skinnies, then skip this step. But, if you're using an old pair of flared jeans and want to skinnify them, take these steps.
Turn the jeans inside out and put them on. Pin the flared part of the jean legs close to your calves. Take the jeans off (be careful not to hurt yourself with the pins). Sew new side seams where you pinned. Cut off excess fabric from the sides and zig-zag or serge the raw edges.
Dont' worry about the extra length, you'll need that to create the cuff.

 Step 2 
 Turn the hem twice so that it's the right length for you. When you want to use this on a new pair of skinnies, buy a longer pair to be able to cuff them.
Gather all your rhinestone and plan out the pattern or design of the cuffs. Then glue the rhinestones or embellishment stones in place. You could also sew them in place if you have sew-on rhinestones/embellishments, but I really couldn't be bothered.
Sparkling cuffs for my jeans (click through for details)
Easy, peasy! I think next time I'd add even more embellishments, but I wanted to only use supplies I already had at home. More bling is always better, wouldn't you say? (haha)

Hope this inspires you to give your old pair of jeans some oomph.
xo Hanna

Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Love this DIY!!! Such a cute idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, turning inspiration into reality works wonders :)

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home